Have you thought of shared ownership?
Shared ownership is a really good option for people who want to buy their own home but cannot afford to because of high property prices. It allows people to part-buy and part-rent their home.
- How does it work?
- What are the benefits?
- What would you pay?
- Are you eligible?
- Shared Ownership Events
You buy a share of the property with a mortgage. The other share is owned by the housing association or the council. You pay an affordable rent to the housing association or the council to cover the share you do not own.
- It’s more affordable than buying on the open market
- You get the added security of owning a part of your home
- It helps you get on the property ladder
- You can choose to increase the share you own
- You can sell your share if you want to
- The deposit on the mortgage for your share of the property
- Any legal, valuation and survey fees
- Stamp duty, where applicable
- The costs of moving in
Once a month
- The mortgage payments for the share you own
- The rent for the share you don’t own
Once a year
- A service charge, to cover maintenance of the communal areas. This charge might vary from year to year, depending on what maintenance needs to be done, but the amount will not depend on the size of your share in the property.
To qualify for shared ownership schemes you need to:
- be a first-time buyer who cannot afford to buy a suitable home on the open market
- have a household income less than £90,000
- have access to savings or funds to cover the cost of the mortgage deposit, mortgage valuation or survey, legal fees and stamp duty (where applicable)
Haringey Council will give first priority for shared ownership homes to current council and housing association tenants living in Haringey, and then to people who live or work in the borough.
- For further information see the Homes for Londoners website (external link)
If you're a first time buyer looking for help to get on the property ladder, come along to the London Home Show. The event hosts the major providers of Shared Ownership and Help to Buy in London. Next Home Show's details are below:
- Date: Saturday 21 March 2020, 10.30am to 5pm
- Venue: Queen Elizabeth II Centre, Broad Sanctuary, Westminster, SW1P 3EE
- Free admission, registration required (entry by ticket only)
- For further information see the London Home Show website (external link)
See our Shared Ownership page to see current and planned schemes in Haringey.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required