Winter Fuel Payments
- Payment amounts
- Those not entitled to a winter fuel payment
- Further information
- Winter fuel payments were introduced by the Government from the winter of 1997/1998 and extended to most men and women from 2000/2001 to help with heating costs over the winter months
- Winter fuel payments are not means tested
- For winter 2018/19 you will qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 5 November 1953 and you were living in the UK throughout the qualifying week of 17 to 23 September 2018
- The winter fuel payment will not affect your entitlement to other benefits, you do not need to be in receipt of the state pension and there is no need to pay income tax on it
In order to be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment for the current winter (2019/2020) you must have been born on or before 5 November 1953. This is because the qualifying age is rising in line with the qualifying age for the state pension.
You must also normally live in Great Britain or Northern Ireland on any day in the qualifying week of 18 - 24 September 2019.
The amount of Winter Fuel Payment that you can get is dependent on your personal circumstances, however in general those born before 5 November 1953 will receive £200 and those aged over 80 in the qualifying week (17 to 23 September 2018) will receive £300. Any money you receive is tax free and will not affect your other benefits.
- Those in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks
- Those in custody serving a prison sentence
- Those who need permission to enter the UK and do not qualify for help from the Department of Work and Pensions
- Those who lived in a care home for the 12 weeks previous to the qualifying week and receive Pension Credit, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Those who live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK.
For further information on Winter Fuel Payments or if you need to:
- Get a claim form for winter fuel payments
- Tell us about a change in your circumstances
Please contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre:
- Tel: 03459 15 15 15; from outside the UK: 0044 191 218 7777
- Textphone: 0345 606 0285; from outside the UK: 0044 191 218 7280
The centre is open Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm.
You will need to know the following information when you call:
- Your National Insurance number
- Your bank or building society details
- Your BIC and IBAN numbers if you live in the EEA or Switzerland
- The date you were married or entered into a civil partnership (if appropriate)
Further information is available on the Winter Fuel Payments pages of the GOV.UK website (external link)