Home Heat Loss

  • In a typical British home, around one-third of the heat produced by a central heating system is rapidly lost through the roof, ceiling and walls.
  • This means that for a poorly insulated property up to £1 out of every £3 spent on heating is being wasted.

For advice and information on how best to insulate your property and reduce heat losses please visit the Energy Saving Trust website (external link).

Heat loss will typically occur:

  • through the roof
  • through the walls
  • through doors/windows and floors

How much heat is YOUR home losing?

View of the Thermal Mapping website

Haringey Council purchased the data covering the London Borough of Haringey from a survey carried out by Horton Levi during the winter of 2000 and also carried out a follow up survey in March 2007.

Funding provided by the Neighbourhood Renewal Fund for a project to reduce the levels of fuel poverty in the borough enabled the purchase and subsequent processing of both sets of data. Further information is available on the project by clicking on the links on the left.

Please read the page on thermal imaging for more information

Page last updated:

March 15, 2021

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)