Exchange your council home

If you are a council tenant and you need to move because your current council home no longer meets your needs, then you should check if you can apply for a transfer. If the transfer options we offer are not suitable, then you may want to consider a mutual exchange.

What is a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange is when you swap your home with another council or housing association in Haringey or anywhere else in Britain. You can only swap your home in this way if both landlords agree. A mutual exchange can be beneficial:

  • It can help you to move if you do not qualify for rehousing.
  • It can provide you with more choice about the size, type and location of your home.
  • It allows you to move to another area.

Everyone involved in the exchange must have a clear rent account, and the tenants wanting to swap homes must not have had a Notice of Seeking Possession (NOSP) served against them. The properties must not be too big or too small for the family intending to move in, and they must be in good repair and not be damaged by the tenants moving out. Where the property is part of a Sheltered, Good Neighbour (or special needs) housing scheme, an exchange will not be permitted if the proposed exchange is with someone whom does not have assessed support needs. Specially adapted properties are also not included in the mutual exchange scheme.

If you swap your current council home for another council home managed by us, then you will accept the property in the condition it was left by the previous tenant. Although we are responsible for repairs as set out in your tenancy agreement, you will be responsible for any damage caused by the previous tenant. 

There may be other conditions involved in a mutual exchange. For more details please contact us on 020 8489 5611 (Mondays to Fridays, 8am to 6pm) or email us at:

Back to top

How do I find someone to exchange with? 

There are various schemes available on the Internet. The schemes hold nationwide information about tenants who want to carry out a mutual exchange. We recommend you use Home Swapper (external link) as we have a membership with them - this means it's free to use for council tenants in Haringey 

There are other mutual exchange schemes available for council tenants (all external links):

Back to top

I found someone to swap homes with - what next?

You and the person you want to swap with will need to complete a  Mutual Exchange Application Form (PDF, 425KB)

Please submit your application to Tenancy Management, Alexandra House, 6 floor, 10 Station Road, London N22 7TR

One of our surveyor together with your Tenancy Management Officer will then inspect your home and discuss any repairs with you. If there are any repairs you are responsible for or which have been caused by deliberate damage, neglect or unauthorised alterations and improvements, we will ask you to carry out work before the exchange is agreed. If further repairs are found once you have left the property we may ask you to pay for the work.

We normally consider a mutual exchange request within six weeks. If you meet the conditions and carry out any necessary repairs, we will write to you to confirm the exchange can take place. It is very important that you do not move until:

  • you have the written approval of your new landlord
  • you have signed or made arrangements to sign the necessary documents and
  • we have agreed to allow the other person to move into your home.

Before you decide to move you must be satisfied that the property you have chosen is right for you and is in good condition. We cannot accept responsibility for any problems after an exchange has taken place. You should also be aware that we will not carry out any decorations to your home and you will not be entitled to a decorating allowance.

Back to top

Contact details

If you have any questions about mutual exchange, please complete our council property enquiry form or email us at:

Page last updated:

September 5, 2023