Estate parking consultation
Working with residents to change the way we manage estate parking.
What is this consultation about?
We consulted with residents of the first 9 estates in our programme of work in introducing our new estate parking management scheme. These estates are:
- Bounds Green Court
- Campsbourne Estate
- Chettle Court
- Commerce Road (part)
- Stonebridge Road
- The Sandlings
- Vincent Square
- Willow Walk/Milton Road
Plans showing the estates, including affected roads/parking areas and properties included in the consultation - can be viewed below:
A consultation pack was sent to all affected properties in these estates which included information about our plans for parking on estates which included a questionnaire asking residents for their opinions about parking on their estate.
See the: EPMS information pack (PDF, 261KB)
The consultation closed on 11 March 2022.
Any changes to estate parking on these estates will depend on the results of this consultation.
Why the need to change the current parking scheme?
The current estate controlled parking scheme needs to change because:
- The scheme is over 20 years old and can’t deal with the parking problems on estates.
- The contract with Wing Parking Ltd ends December 2022 and cannot be renewed.
- The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 stops us clamping or towing with this scheme.
- Government policy on how councils can manage parking has changed.
- It cannot pay for itself anymore, so tenants rents subsidise the costs even if they don’t use the service or live on an estate with parking, this is not fair.
What are we proposing to do?
Introduce a new estate parking management scheme using the policy agreed by Haringey Council’s Cabinet in December 2020.
The estates included in the first round are being consulted now, with nearly 150 more estates with existing parking schemes to be consulted as part of a rolling programme of works over two years starting after the local elections in May 2022.
You can download a presentation with the full proposals (PDF, 409KB), but in summary:
- We will stop using Wing Parking Ltd. to manage the parking
- We will start using Haringey Council’s in-house Parking Service
- We will use Traffic Management Orders under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
Managing parking in this way provides the powers required to improve enforcement, including clamping and towing if needed. We will be able to offer a range of parking times, encourage the use of greener vehicles and promote alternative types of transport. We will be able to tackle problems like permit tampering, parking abuse, abandoned vehicles and car dealers. It will also mean only the people who use the service contribute towards the costs of controlling estate parking.
- Read the full Haringey Council cabinet report from December 2020 which approved the new scheme
What are the next steps?
The consultation closed on 22 March 2022. The next steps will be -
- We will consider your feedback and discuss the outcome of the consultation with the lead Cabinet Member and your local councillors.
- We will prepare a report with recommendations which will be submitted for a decision to a key officer in consultation with the relevant Cabinet Member.
- If approved, we can then progress to statutory consultation. We will write to you to update you on the outcome of the consultation and decision and to let you know the timescales of the next steps
- Statutory consultation includes advertising the necessary changes in the local newspapers allowing anyone to object to the proposals.
- Officers will prepare a second report with recommendations on whether to implement the changes on your estate. This decision is likely to be taken by the relevant Cabinet Member
- We will write to you again to inform you if any changes will be implemented and the timeframe for this.