Waste removal companies
Your rubbish is your responsibility. Even if you give it to someone else to dispose of, such as a waste removal company, you are still liable for what happens to it.
You must make sure your rubbish is being legally disposed of. If it is illegally dumped, you could be fined up to £50,000.
Never accept unsolicited offers to take away your rubbish.
Registered waste removal companies
If you decide to use a waste removal company, you must make sure it's registered.
Check a waste removal company is registered(external link)
Things to check
After confirming a waste removal company is registered, you must also:
- ask what will happen to your waste
- take down their vehicle licence number
- keep hold of paperwork obtained and get a full receipt
A reputable waste collector will happily answer your questions. Don’t be afraid to ask.
Other ways to remove rubbish
You may be able to dispose of items without using a waste removal company:
- for bulky items, such as a mattress or sofa, we have a bulky waste collection service
- you can recycle furniture if it’s in good condition or needs minor repairs
- you can take a wide range of items to your nearest recycling centre
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required