Dog Control Orders
- Types of Dog Control Orders
- Dogs walked freely without a lead
- Dog exclusion (areas where dogs cannot go at all)
- Walked with lead (where dogs must be on a lead at all times)
- Dogs to be placed on lead when instructed to do so (by an Authorised Officer)
- Dog Fouling
- Limit to the number of dogs an individual can walk
- More information
Dog Control Orders came into effect on 1 April 2013. The types of Dog Control Orders that will be implemented are:
- Designating places where dogs can be walked freely without a lead
- Designating places where dogs will be excluded
- Designating places where dogs can be walked with a lead
- Powers for authorised officers to instruct owners to place their dog on a lead
- A borough-wide order making it an offence to fail to clean up after your dog
- An order to limit the number of dogs on a lead that can be walked by an individual, to six at any one time
This will be all large parks (over half a hectare) being areas where dogs may be walked or exercised off lead. This promotes healthy exercise for the animals and takes into consideration the needs of the borough's dog owners.
This Order will ban dogs from all public playgrounds, sports courts, games areas and marked pitches in our parks and open spaces, including Homes for Haringey land.
Some residents felt that these areas are not places for dogs to be exercised. Many parents avoid these areas because they feel it is not safe for their children to play where there are dogs. Some parents are concerned their children might be exposed to Toxocariasis due to irresponsible owners allowing their dog to foul in these areas.
This Order will require dogs to be kept on a lead on all public roads and footways, all public car parks, small areas of public land, parks and open spaces of less than half a hectare and all Homes for Haringey land. The Police asked the council to consider making this Order as they had concerns that dogs off lead can cause traffic accidents and intimidate people.
This Dogs on Lead Order is designed to ensure that our smaller parks and open spaces are free of roaming dogs and the anti-social activities of irresponsible dog owners.
Homes for Haringey has also asked that we make an order requiring dogs to be on a lead whilst on their land so that residents are not affected by roaming dogs and dog mess.
This order is for the whole borough. It includes all public land, including that controlled by Homes for Haringey. It allows an authorised officer or a Police officer to instruct that a dog be put on a lead, when necessary.
This Order will cover the whole borough including all public highways, parks and open spaces and Homes for Haringey land. Dog fouling concerns us all. In recent surveys residents said it was one of their primary concerns. Stepping in dog mess is awful for everyone. The blinding disease, Toxocariasis, can be contracted through dog fouling and is a concern for parents with small children. This Order is designed to strengthen the penalty against irresponsible dog owners who allow their dog to foul and make no attempt to clean up after their animal.
This Dog Control Order will restrict the number of dogs an individual can walk in a designated area at any time. In line with DEFRA guidelines the council will restrict the number of dogs that can be walked by a single individual in a dog control area to six (professional dog walkers should consult the DEFRA guidelines).
- You can download a Dog Control Orders guide from the GOV.UK website (external link)
- In the attached files section below is a list of frequently asked questions and answers (FAQs) regarding Dog Control Orders that should help to explain them further
- Please see the cabinet report (PDF, 2MB) approving the introduction of Dog Control Orders. The Cabinet Report includes an appendix with a summary of the Dog Control Order consultation results.
The Dog Control Orders can be viewed on the Dog Control Orders - Map (PDF, 3MB)
- Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm
- Tel 020 8489 1335
|Dog Control Orders - FAQ||360.55 KB|
|Consultation Final Report||326.76 KB|
|Dog Control Orders - Map||2.64 MB|
|Dog Control Sealed Order - Specified Maximum Number||122.37 KB|
|Dog Control Sealed Orders - Dog Exclusion Zones||122.88 KB|
|Dog Control Sealed Orders - Dogs on leads by direction||108.82 KB|
|Dog Control Sealed Orders - Fouling of land by dogs||128.84 KB|