Fly-tipping: Help us catch the crooks
Fly-tipping is a crime that blights our streets in Haringey and across London. It is disgusting, selfish and costs taxpayers in Haringey more than £3million a year. Our enforcement teams work non-stop to catch fly-tippers and we have tough measures to deal with those we catch. But we need your help to identify more of these criminals and tackle fly-tipping.
What we need
- If you see or hear anything, please let us know, even the little details can help us. Useful things are a description of the offender, a name, address, description of any vehicles involved - such as model, make, colour and registration - even information on which direction they came from and left in
- Without details like the above, the person reporting the fly-tip would need to have witnessed the rubbish being dumped and be prepared to provide a witness statement
- Images of the dumped rubbish are a huge help in putting a case together for prosecution
- If you see someone fly-tipping, or spot a fly-tip that wasn’t there before, let us know the time and date as soon as possible and we could track them down
What we do
- This is the highest we are allowed to give. We’ve raised this from £80
Get stuck in
- Come rain or shine, our enforcement officers trawl through fly-tips for information that could lead to a fine or conviction
- We do have CCTV in some locations, but it’s not a silver bullet and we can’t put cameras everywhere. Surveillance takes up a huge amount of time and is often costly and unfruitful. Even when crooks are spotted on CCTV, they take steps to avoid identification. There are also restrictions on how we use evidence gathered on CCTV
- There are fly-tipping hotspots across the borough that we are boarding up. Sometimes, within hours of us clearing sites, they are filled again. This aims to solve that problem
- When we clear a fly-tip we let residents know by leaving cards at your homes
Crime scene tape
- Fly-tipping is a crime, if you dump rubbish we will treat you like a criminal
- We want to make it clear that fly-tipping is not acceptable
Joint work with police
- Together we have more chance of tracking the crooks down
- We spend more than £3million a year dealing with fly-tipping - money that could be going on other vital services. This is while we are facing budget cuts of £20million, on top of £160million we have already been forced to save
- Large scale fly-tipping can be punished with a £50,000 fine, or a prison sentence
- If you give your rubbish to someone who does not have a licence and they dump it, the fly-tip will be traced back to you and you could be fined
- We record littering such as dumped black bags as fly-tips, which some councils do not
If you see anyone dumping rubbish or have any information, let us know:
To report dumped rubbish, register or log in to My Account, select “Add a Report”, and then select the category from the drop down menu. You can also use the Our Haringey app to report this via your mobile phone while out and about. Alternatively please contact the Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required