Real nappies reduce waste! Washable cloth nappies reduce the amount of waste that families with babies and toddlers throw away and can save parents money too! Haringey Council is working with Real Nappies for London to provide residents of Haringey with detailed information about using reusable nappies and to offer parents a voucher worth £54.15 which can be used toward the cost of real nappy products or laundry services.
- Why use real nappies?
- Where to buy real nappies in Haringey
- Washing real nappies
- Using a nappy laundry service
- How to claim voucher for £54.15
- Where to get more information
Eight million disposable nappies are thrown away every day in the UK and most of these go to landfill. Many parents who use real nappies find they can reduce their household waste by up to a half. Real nappies are easy to use, practical, and a great alternative to disposables. Using real nappies can also save you money, as the total cost of using real nappies can be £600 less than using disposables.
A number of companies sell reusable cotton nappies and a wide range of nappies are also available to purchase through the internet. You can also buy nappy 'starter packs', which enable you to try different types of nappies before committing to buying a larger amount.
There are several companies in Haringey that sell reusable nappies:
- The Washable Nappy Company - contact Juliet Wickham on 01424 434 580 or 07833 927 210 (please see the external links section)
- Oh Baby - 126 Fortis Green Road, N10 3EU, 020 8444 8742
The national Go Real Campaign has a 'Nappy Finder' function on their website (please see external links section), which enables you to search for companies selling real nappies locally. Alternatively, you can contact their Real Nappy Helpline on 0845 850 0606.
Links to other companies selling reusable nappies will continue to be added to the external links section at the bottom of this page.
Real nappies can be washed at 60 degrees along with other whites. However, there are special nappy detergents that allow you to wash nappies at 30 degrees. Biodegradable nappy liners can be flushed down the toilet, whereas washable liners can be washed with your nappies. Most real nappies can be line or tumble-dried. Alternatively, you might prefer using a nappy laundry service.
If you don't have the time or the facilities to wash and dry nappies at home, you can sign up to a nappy laundry service. Used nappies are collected weekly from your doorstep and at the same time a supply of clean cloth nappies are delivered.
Haringey Council works in partnership with Number One for Nappies, who offers a nappy laundry service in the borough. You can contact them on 07951 687 730 or visit their website (see external links section at the bottom of this page).
The voucher and an accompanying information pack about reusable nappies can be obtained through Real Nappies for London. You can apply on-line at the Real Nappies for London website (see external links section at the bottom of this page) or you can ring 020 7324 4709 and request an application form.
- You are only entitled to a voucher if your child is under the age of 18 months.
- The voucher can be redeemed for nappies and accessories or a nappy laundry service (for a limited period) within 6 months of you receiving it.
- Full details can be found on the Real Nappies for London website or please telephone 020 7324 4709.
To receive the voucher and information pack you need to provide photocopies of documents to show:
- proof of your address in Haringey - a photocopy of your council tax, a bank statement or utility bill
- proof of your identity - a photocopy of your birth certificate, driving licence or passport
- evidence you are expecting a child or have had a child in the last 18 months - a photocopy of your MatB1 form or child's birth certificate.
Do not send originals of these documents.
For more information about this voucher scheme contact:
Real Nappies for London
The Grayston Centre
28 Charles Square
Tel: 020 7324 4709
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required