Be inspired by black authors and artists and discover our black history and culture themed storytime videos, books, crafts and quiz.
Enjoy storytime at home, with stories read by Haringey library staff. All books are black history and culture themed, or written by black authors.
New stories will be added each Monday in October 2021, so please come back soon for more storytime sessions.
Aretha Franklin: Little People, Big Dreams - Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara - Frances Lincoln Publishers
Aretha Franklin 'The Queen of Soul', was the first woman to be included into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and was twice voted Greatest Singer of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine. She was also an important activist for civil rights and women's rights. Aretha Franklin grew up in a family of musicians, singing with her heart and soul in her father's gospel choir. She went on to bring that feeling to her own music, creating some of history's best loved songs that still spark hope in listeners today.
Get hands on with a selection of creative arts and craft activities from Haringey Libraries and Bruce Castle Museum.
- How to make a BWA Butterfly Style Mask (PDF, 447KB)
- How to make a Sun and Moon Mask (PDF, 378KB)
- How to make a Massai Necklace (PDF, 36KB)
- How to Make a Rocket Craft (PDF, 196KB)
- How to Make a Train Guard Hat (PDF, 39KB)
- Mae Jemison Rocket Ship Craft (PDF, 98KB)
- Rosa Parks Bus Craft (PDF, 108KB)
- How to make an I Have a Dream Mobile (PDF, 158KB)
- Althea McNish Printing Craft (PDF, 275KB)
- How to make an African Drum (PDF, 59KB)
- How to make a Woven Mat (PDF, 86KB)
- Adinkra Printing (PDF, 83KB)
- How to make a Zulu Hat. (PDF, 736KB)
- How to make an African Style Spin Drum (PDF, 414KB)
- How to make an African Mask (PDF, 572KB)
- Afro Comb Art (PDF, 74KB)
- CHANGEMAKERS! Portrait activity (PDF, 114KB)
- Design a Carnival Headdress (PDF, 511KB)
Download our children's quiz, get your thinking caps on and discover more about black history.
Discover some new stories with the below book list for children and young adults, from the Haringey Library Service.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required