Black History and Culture Books and Films
Explore a selection of books and films on black history and culture and by black authors and directors.
Enjoy a selection of black history books, or ones written by black authors. Selections have been made and book reviews have been written by library staff, book club attendees and community groups.
If you would like to add your own review, please send it to email@example.com
We also have a selection of black history and culture themed eBooks available to download here (external link).
- Another Country by James Baldwin
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
- Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zola Neale Hurston
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- The Blacker the Berry by Wallace Thurman
- Well Read Black Girl by Glory Edim
Adult Non Fiction
- Black and British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga
- How to be Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- How to Argue with a Racist by Adam Rutherford
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad
- Natives: Race & Class in the Ruins of Empire by Akala
- Never Again: Rock Against Racism and the Anti-Nazi League 1976-1982 by David Renton
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley
- They Can't Kill us All by Wesley Lowery
- The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad
- Walls Come Tumbling Down: The Music and Politics of Rock Against Racism, 2 Tone and Red Wedge by Daniel Rachel
- Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
Download a PDF copy of the book list and read the reviews here.
Book List and Reviews for Adults (PDF, 255KB)
African and Caribbean Book section in Haringey Libraries
Haringey Libraries hold permanent African-Caribbean book collections at Wood Green, Marcus Garvey and Hornsey Libraries. Titles included in the collections are marked "A/C" on the spine and range from classic to contemporary fiction, biographies, history and much more.
Enjoy a selection of black history and culture themed children's books, especially selected by Haringey Libraries. Titles are available to loan from the Haringey Libraries online catalogue
- Baby Goes to Market by Atinuke
- Full Full Full of Love by Trish Cooke
- Hair Love by Matthew Cherry
- I Am Enough by Grace Byers
- Look Up by Nathan Bryon
- My Hair by Hannah Lee
- So Much! by Trish Cooke
- The Colour of Home by Mary Hoffman
- When a Dragon Goes to School by Caryl Hart
- Diver's Daughter by Patrice Lawrence
- Empire's End by Leila Rasheed
- Freedom by Catherine Johnson
- Handa's Surprise by Eileen Brown
- High Rise Mystery & Mic Drop by Sharma Jackson
- How Anansi Got His Stories by Trish Cooke
- Look Both Ways by Jason Reynolds
- Race to the Frozen North by Catherine Johnson
- Son of the Circus by E.L.Norry
- The Infinite by Patience Agbabi
Children's Non Fiction
- A Life Story...Katherine Johnson by Leila Rasheed
- Hidden Figures: The Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race (children's edition) by Margot Shetterly
- I am Rosa Parks (Ordinary People Change the World) by Brad Meltzer
- I am Martin Luther King Jr. (Ordinary People Change the World) by Brad Meltzer
- Little People, Big Dreams - a series of books by various authors on inspirational leaders such as Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Martin Luther King Jr, and many more.
- Little Leaders: Visionary Women Around the World by Vashti Harrison
- Little Leaders: Exceptional Men in Black History by Vashti Harrison
- The Story of the Windrush by K.N. Chimbiri
- The Vast Wonder of the World: Biologist Ernest Everett by Melinda Mangal
- Young, Gifted and Black: Meet 52 Black Heroes from the Past & Present by Jamia Wilson
Young Adult Fiction
- A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars by Yaba Badoe
- Booked by Kwame Alexander
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
- Crongton Knights and Home Girl by Alex Wheatle
- Indigo Donut, Orangeboy and Rose Interrupted by Patrice Lawrence
- Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Rebound by Kwame Alexander
- The Noughts & Crosses series by Malorie Blackman
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds
- The Hate U Give and On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander
Download a PDF copy of the book list.
Book List for Children and Young Adults (PDF, 222KB)
New Beacon Books was founded in 1966 by John La Rose and his partner Sarah White. The shop based in Stroud Green Road was the UK's first black publisher, specialist bookshop and international book distributor.
Find out more about New Beacon Books (external link) and discover more books to explore.
Enjoy a selection of black history and culture themed films and documentaries, or ones made by black filmmakers. Selections and reviews have been made by library staff and readers.
- Do the Right Thing (1989) Cert. 15
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) Cert. U
- In the Heat of the Night (1967) Cert. A
- Mississippi Burning (1988) Cert. 18
- Queen & Slim (2019) Cert. 15.
- The Butler (2013) Cert. 12A
- The Color Purple (1985) Cert. 15
- The Hate U Give (2018) Cert. 12A
- The Help (2011) Cert. 12A
- To Sir with Love (1967) Cert. A
Download a PDF copy of the film list and to read the film reviews.
Film List and Reviews (PDF, 265KB)
You can find more information, film collections and archives by following the below links.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required