Due to essential system maintenance, our Council Tax, Benefits and Landlord portals will be unavailable from Thursday 30 March, 10pm to Monday 3 April, 8am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Housing Benefit

Most people who need help with housing payments should apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.  

Who can claim Housing Benefit? 

You can claim Housing Benefit if you: 

  • are of state pension age  
  • live in supported, sheltered or temporary accommodation 

Housing Benefit can help pay your rent if you’re on a low income. It can pay for part or all your rent. You can apply whether you’re unemployed or working. 

See full information on who can claim Housing Benefit on GOV.UK (external link)

If you can’t claim Housing Benefit, you may be able to claim Universal Credit instead. 

If you need help paying your mortgage, please see information on support for interest payment on GOV.UK (external link).

Back to top

How much you’ll get 

It can be complicated to work out how much you’ll get. We recommend using our online benefits calculator. This will tell you how much you could receive. It will also show other benefits you may be able to claim. 

See how much Housing Benefit you could get

The amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on: 

See full information on how your Housing Benefit is worked out on GOV.UK (external link).

If you rent privately, we will usually work out your Housing Benefit using the Local Housing Allowance

Back to top

Number of bedrooms you're allowed 

There are rules for how many bedrooms the government thinks you need. These rules apply if you rent from your local council or a housing association. You may get reduced Housing Benefit if you have more bedrooms than the rules say you need.  

The rules don’t apply if you rent from a private landlord or letting agent. 

Please see information on sharing bedrooms on Citizens Advice (external link)

If you believe you qualify for an extra bedroom for yourself or a member of your family, please complete our Request for Extra Room Form

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 23, 2023