What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax support. We continue to accept new applications for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Universal Credit replaces these legacy benefits and Tax Credits for people of working-age:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

This means people of working age cannot make a new claim for a legacy benefit and may have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Before claiming Universal Credit you can check if there are any other options available to you on the Citizens Advice website (external link).

For more information about Universal Credit try these useful external links.

If you currently get Housing Benefit

If you currently get Housing Benefit and do not need to make a new application for Housing Benefit or one of the other legacy benefits or tax credits, you will not need to apply for Universal Credit until the Department for Work and Pensions contact you to advise you to apply for it.

Back to top

Page last updated:

August 23, 2021