COVID-19: see the latest information about the financial support available during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

Local Housing Allowance

The Local Housing Allowance (LHA) was introduced in April 2008 and is used to calculate Housing Benefit (HB) for most private tenants. There have been several changes to LHA rules since that date. The information on this page is based on current rules.

The LHA looks at the location and the size of the accommodation rather than the rent being charged. The maximum amount we can pay in HB is the LHA Rate set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). Rates are capped at a maximum of four bedrooms.

LHA rates take into account the number of bedrooms required by a claimant and their household (up to the four bedroom maximum). Claimants with similar households are entitled to the same rate regardless of the rent they pay. The amount of HB a claimant can get depends on the LHA rate they are entitled to and their financial and household circumstances.


The LHA rate used to assess Housing Benefit (HB) depends on the number of bedrooms needed by the claimant and family members who live with them. This is known as the claimant's 'size criteria'. Further information about the number of bedrooms a claimant can get is on our size criteria page.

LHA rates are set annually by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and are reviewed every April. The rates set by the VOA are the maximum weekly amount we can pay in HB. The actual amount a claimant will get depends on their income, savings and household. Further information about LHA rates in Haringey is available on our LHA rates page.

Method of payment

Housing Benefit (HB) under the LHA rules is normally paid directly to the claimant. In some circumstances we may decide to pay the landlord. Further information about who we can pay is available on our Payments page.

Claimants unaffected by LHA

LHA rules apply to most private tenancies but not tenants:

  • who live in house boats, mobile homes or caravans
  • whose landlord is a registered Housing Association
  • who have regulated tenancies or registered rent
  • whose rent includes a substantial sum for board and attendance (i.e. meals)
  • whose landlord is a charitable or voluntary organisation who provide care support or supervision
  • who pay rent to Haringey Council

Appealing an LHA decision

You or your landlord can appeal against:

  • a decision to pay you and not the landlord
  • a decision to pay the landlord instead of you

You cannot appeal against decisions:

  • about the level of LHA set by the Rent Service
  • about the boundary of a Broad Rental Market Area (BRMA)

Appeals must be made in writing within one month of the date of our decision. You must tell us the date of the decision and what you are appealing against. You should also provide information and evidence to support your appeal. Please visit our Appeals page for further information.

|Back to top

Page last updated:

6 July 2020

Tell us what you think about the website

Covid-19 survey

We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.

Contact us about our services

Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Give us feedback about this page

Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

* = response required

Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.

How easy was it to get the help you wanted

Would you like to provide any further comments about your visit today?

Additional comment?

Do you wish to report a problem with a council service?

Service comment

It's quicker if you report any service issues using our online self-service pages (opens in new window).

Tell us about your experience of using the website below:

Please note this form is not for general service requests or reporting issues with a service. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.