Received a Council Tax reminder by voice message, text or email? Find out more about our new service.

See all available benefits and other financial help.


You should tell us straightaway if you have been paid too much Housing Benefit.

Contact us if:

  • you think you have been overpaid
  • you get a letter telling you that you have been overpaid
  • your circumstances change and this is likely to affect your Housing Benefit

It is your responsibility to tell us if your circumstances change or if you think you are being overpaid. If you do not inform us of any changes to your circumstances, you could be prosecuted for benefit fraud.

Contact the Benefits team

Back to top

What happens if you’ve been overpaid

You will get a letter to let you know that you’ve been overpaid.

You should immediately contact us if you think this is a mistake and you want to appeal the decision.

Back to top

When you have to repay the money

You will have to pay the money back if the overpayment was your fault:

  • if the information you gave us was wrong
  • you did not report a change in your circumstances
  • there was an administrative mistake but you should have noticed the overpayment - eg you received two payments instead of one

If your landlord gets your Housing Benefit directly

Your landlord may be asked to repay the money if they are responsible for the overpayment. However, if the overpayment was your fault, you may have to repay it.

Back to top

Making repayments

If you still receive Housing Benefit, the regular amount you get will be reduced until you’ve paid back the money. We can also help you arrange a payment plan.

Repayment Methods

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 18, 2021