You should tell us straightaway if you have been paid too much Housing Benefit.
Contact us if:
- you think you have been overpaid
- you get a letter telling you that you have been overpaid
- your circumstances change and this is likely to affect your Housing Benefit
It is your responsibility to tell us if your circumstances change or if you think you are being overpaid. If you do not inform us of any changes to your circumstances, you could be prosecuted for benefit fraud.
What happens if you’ve been overpaid
You will get a letter to let you know that you’ve been overpaid.
You should immediately contact us if you think this is a mistake and you want to appeal the decision.
When you have to repay the money
You will have to pay the money back if the overpayment was your fault:
- if the information you gave us was wrong
- you did not report a change in your circumstances
- there was an administrative mistake but you should have noticed the overpayment - eg you received two payments instead of one
If your landlord gets your Housing Benefit directly
Your landlord may be asked to repay the money if they are responsible for the overpayment. However, if the overpayment was your fault, you may have to repay it.
If you still receive Housing Benefit, the regular amount you get will be reduced until you’ve paid back the money. We can also help you arrange a payment plan.
- Make a Housing Benefit Overpayment Payment online
- Use a self-service payment kiosk to make a Debit or Credit card payment at your local Customer Service Centre
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required