Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
Use our online benefits calculator to find out:
- if you should apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
- how much benefit you could get
- what other benefits you could apply for
If you can’t claim Universal Credit and still aren’t sure whether you can get Housing Benefit, you should apply for Housing Benefit anyway. We will tell you as soon as we can if you qualify.
You can’t claim Housing benefit if you have £16,000 or more in savings unless you get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
If you pay Council Tax, you can apply for Council Tax Support when you apply for Housing Benefit.
Documents you must provide
Before starting your application, make sure you have all the proof needed to support your claim.
This proof is needed to process your claim.
You can upload your proofs when completing the online form.
If you need to update proof at a later date, you can do this through the online benefits portal.
If you have problems applying online, please see our troubleshooting page.
Apply by post
If you cannot apply online, please download, print, complete and return the application form (PDF, 318KB)
You may want to have a look at the guidance notes (PDF, 370KB) before applying.
Please wait 14 days before getting in touch about your application.
You may be able to claim Housing Benefit on 2 homes in certain circumstances for a limited period.
If you’re unable to apply for Housing Benefit straight away, we may be able to pay you for a period before you applied. This is called a backdated award.
If you’re of working age
Working age residents must:
- tell us the date you want your Housing Benefit backdated to
- explain why you couldn’t apply during the whole period you want your claim backdated to
- provide evidence to show why you couldn’t apply earlier
The most we can backdate your claim is 1 month from the date of your backdate request.
You can ask us to backdate your claim by:
- telling us when you make a new claim – you will be asked if you want to backdate your claim when you apply
- completing the benefits enquiry form in My Account
- writing to us if you can’t use our online forms
We will assess your request and let you know in writing of our decision.
If you or your partner are pension age
Your housing benefit is backdated to whichever is the most recent date:
- 3 months before you applied
- when you reached pension age
- the date you had to start paying rent
This happens automatically when you apply for housing benefit.