COVID-19: see the latest information about the financial support available during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Understanding your Council Tax bill

My Account

Using My Account may answer a number of your queries. You can use My Account to check your Council Tax account and future instalments, set up a direct debit or make a payment.

You can register or log into your account on our My Account page.

About your Council Tax bill

This  sample Council Tax bill (PDF, 799KB) details:

  • the charge for the year
  • the amount you have to pay for the year
  • the dates and amounts of your instalments for the year
  • the outstanding amount of Council Tax you owe us for prior years

Additional information about your annual bill for 2020/21 is available on our Your new Council Tax bill page.

Further information to help you better understand your bill is below and in our frequently asked questions section.

Balance brought forward

Your Council Tax bill will show a balance brought forward if our records show that there was any unpaid Council Tax at the end of the last financial year (31 March). 


it will show in the method of payment area at the bottom of the bill. It is not included in your current year instalments and needs to be paid separately. If you are unable to pay the amount in full right away contact us to agree an instalment arrangement.

If you have been sent a new bill for the current financial year (2020/21) since 1 April 2020, any credit or amount outstanding from the previous year will show in the charge details section of the bill as Balance Brought Forward. It is included in the amount you must pay and your instalments for the year.

Council Tax Reduction

Any Council Tax reduction that you receive is reassessed each time we are notified about a change in your income or circumstances or changes of a person who lives with you as part of your household.

If this happens you will be sent a Decision Notice and Statement of Reason explaining how much Council Tax Reduction you are entitled to and the information used to calculate it.

Method of Payment

If this shows that your Council Tax is paid by direct debit, you do not need to take any further action – your Council Tax will be requested from your bank account each month on the date shown.

You can set up a direct debit or find out more on our Direct Debit page

Back to top

Frequently asked questions about your bill

You sent me a bill for 2019/20 but I already told you that I moved/my circumstances changed

Due to the time it takes to print and check over 100,000 bills, the bills issued for 2019/20 are based on the information we hold on 1 March 2019.

If you have contacted us about your move/change already, you do not need to do so again. We are sorry we have not dealt with your letter or email yet and will send you a revised bill in April. 

I recently moved into the property and you have sent a bill for the previous occupier

If you have not told us that you have moved into Haringey use My Account to tell us. 

The bill shows an outstanding amount from my last Council Tax but I have paid in full

Due to the time it takes to print and check over 100,000 bills, the bills issued for 2019/20 are based on the information we hold on 1 March 2019. Instalments due in March will not show as paid but the amount has not been included in your instalments from April.

Please note the outstanding amount may be for an earlier year. You can use My Account to check the outstanding amount.  

The bill shows I overpaid my Council Tax last year and the credit is being used to pay my new Council Tax. I want you to refund this

You can request a refund using our online refund form. If you do this the instalments you have to pay this year will increase.

If you want us to give you a refund pay the April instalment shown on your bill and we will send a new bill once we have sent you a refund.

A refund will not be issued if you do not pay the April instalment.

I am on a low income – why have I been sent a bill?

You are liable to pay Council Tax because you are the owner or tenant of a property in Haringey.

If you are on a low income, you may be able to apply for Council Tax support. Pensioners, people who have children living with them and disabled people could get a reduction of up to 100% of the Council Tax they have to pay.

You can apply or get further information on our Council Tax Reduction page.

If you are getting a Council Tax Reduction you already have a reduced amount of Council Tax to pay. A statement is enclosed with your bill showing how your reduction is calculated.

You can find out more about how your reduction is worked out on our understanding your benefit letter page.

I would like to pay by direct debit

The quickest way to set up a direct debit is via My Account. The first instalment will not be taken until at least 14 days after you set up the direct debit so you may wish to pay the April instalment using our website.

I do not understand the instalments on my bill

The instalments on your bill will add up to the amount you must pay (unless you have a credit brought forward, which will show on your bill). It will be spread over 10 instalments (April to January) or 12 instalments (April to March). 

Instalments are due on or before the 1st of the month unless you pay by direct debit.

Please pay the exact amount requested on the bill to make sure it is credited correctly on your account.

My instalments are quite high – can you extend my instalment plan?

If the instalment plan shown on your bill ends in January we can change this so that your instalments go through to March instead. Please use our online form so we can do this for you.

You will need to pay the April instalment shown on your bill and we will send you a revised instalment plan reducing your instalments from May.

I have an unsummonsed debt from last year – can I combine it with my current year bill?

This may be possible but you will need to discuss this with Customer Services on 020 8489 1000 to agree the best repayment method. 

What is the Adult Social Care charge shown on the bill?

Local authorities are able to charge 6% in Adult Social Care precept between 2017 -2020. Providing local adult social care services costs almost £78 million each year and this charge generates around £3 million.

Haringey charged 3% in 2017/18 and increased this by a further 3% in 2018/19. There is no increase for 2019/2020.

How much is the Adult Social Care charge and what it is based on?

The Adult Social Care precept for 2019/20 remains at £97.25.

The charge is based on 3% of total Council Tax charge for 2017/18 plus 3% of the charge for 2018/19 (less the Greater London Authority (GLA) precept in both cases).

The amounts that make up the charge are £37.32 (2017/18) and £59.93 (2018/19).

Back to top

Further information

If you want more information about Council Tax, a simple guide is available on the Council Tax pages of GOV.UK (external link).

Back to top


Page last updated:

19 August 2020