Received a Council Tax reminder by text or email? Find out more about our new service.
Have your say on our proposed changes to the 2022/23 Council Tax Reduction Scheme
Haringey do not offer a discount for unoccupied property whether it is furnished or unfurnished – for example:
- Rented properties between tenants
- Properties requiring or undergoing substantial repair
- Unoccupied because you have moved to another address but are still the owner or tenant of your previous home
You are liable to pay the full Council Tax and cannot claim a single person discount. Your bill will show “Empty and Unfurnished/Furnished” in the charge details section.
In addition, if your property has been empty and unfurnished for 2 years or more, you are liable to pay a premium. This will show as 'Long term empty premium' in the charge details section.
- From 1 April 2019, the premium is 200% of the full Council Tax charge if the property has been empty for 2 to 4 years
- From 1 April 2020, the premium is 300% of the full Council Tax charge if the property has been empty for 5 to 9 years
- From 1 April 2021, the premium is 400% of the full Council Tax charge if the property has been empty for 10 years or more
For further information visit the GOV.UK empty property premiums page (external link).
If you a landlord and need to advise us of a change of tenancy, contact us at Council.Tax@haringey.gov.uk using the subject header Change of Tenancy – Address of Property
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required