Due to essential system maintenance, our Council Tax, Benefits and Landlord portals will be unavailable from Thursday 30 March, 10pm to Monday 3 April, 8am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Council Tax and students

If everybody in the household is a full-time student there will be nothing to pay

If one of the adults in the property stops being a student or a non-student moves in the exemption will stop – but you may still be entitled to a discount if there is only one non-student in the property.

Which students can get an exemption or discount?

To qualify for an exemption or discount you must either be:

Taking a full-time course of education:

  • in the EU
  • in a further or higher education establishment.
  • that lasts at least one year
  • requires the student to undertake periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to at least 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks in each year

Under 20 years of age and:

  • attending a course that lasts more than three calendar months
  • that involves at least 12 hours of attendance per week between 8am and 5.30pm.
  • not be a correspondence course
  • not be part of the person's job
  • not be a higher education course

A foreign language assistant:

  • appointed by a school or college in Britain which is registered with the British Council

In addition, a person who is the spouse or dependant of a student is not counted provided they are not a British Citizen and are prevented by immigration regulations from taking paid employment or claiming benefits whilst in the UK.

Applying for an exemption or discount

To apply for an exemption or discount complete the student form in My Account:

  1. go to My Account
  2. click on Council Tax
  3. click on 'Apply for Council Tax discounts' 
  4. open the 'View Council Tax discount services' drop-down menu 
  5. click on 'Apply for a reduction if you are a student or have a student living with you' and enter your details

You must attach a copy of your certificate to your application.

Evidence we need

A certificate is required as evidence of student status and must be received before a reduction can be applied. Your university or college should be able to provide you with a certificate.

The student certificate must contain the following information:

  • The name and address of the college or university issuing the certificate
  • The full name of the student
  • The student's date of birth 
  • A statement saying that the person is (or has) followed a course of education as a student, and
  • The date when the person became a student and the date the person's course is expected to end 

How long does the exemption or discount last?

The exemption or discount will last for the duration of the course.

The period of a student’s course runs from the day they begin the course and continues until it is completed or the student decides to leave the course.

Vacations during the course are treated as part of the period of the course.

If you are no longer a student

If you or another student in your house have completed or decided to leave your course you need to contact us. Failure to do so may result in a penalty being imposed.

Back to top


Page last updated:

February 6, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)