Received a Council Tax reminder by text or email? Find out more about our new service.
Have your say on our proposed changes to the 2022/23 Council Tax Reduction Scheme
- Direct Debit is secure, saves you time and effort and payments are guaranteed.
- Get up to 12 months to pay your council tax rather than 10 (available from April to March only)
- It gives you a choice of three payment dates, either the 1st, 15th or 25th of each month. Your Direct Debit will continue year on year so there is no need for you to contact your bank at the beginning and end of your instalment plan.
- Payments are made automatically when setting up a Direct Debit with your bank but you stay in control - it can be cancelled at any time
- You are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee - you’ll receive a full refund from your bank if an error is made with payment of your Direct Debit
Online using My Account
The quickest way is to set it up online within My Account.
- You will need to click on 'Council Tax' and under the ‘Pay by Direct Debit’ heading click on ‘Set up a new Direct Debit’
- You will need your Council Tax number and your bank account details
Call us on 020 8489 1000 with your council tax account number and your bank details. A letter and bill will be sent confirming that your details have been set up and when your first payment will be collected.
You can also download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction (PDF, 34KB). Please send the completed form to:
Corporate and Customer Services | Revenues
PO Box 10505
- Please note, if you complete and return a Direct Debit instruction, you should continue to pay your monthly instalments until you receive a new bill advising you of a new instalment plan which will be collected by Direct Debit.
- Direct Debits can be collected from most bank or building society accounts with a few exceptions such as savings accounts. Please check with your bank or building society if you are unsure.
- Any payments made by Direct Debit are protected under the Direct Debit guarantee. For further information visit the Direct Debit website (external link).
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required