Don't delay, set up your Direct Debit today
Not only is Direct Debit the easiest way for you to pay but it is also the most cost-effective way for us to collect your council tax payments.
Direct Debit saves you time and effort and payments are guaranteed.
If you choose to pay by Direct Debit you can get up to 12 months to pay your council tax rather than 10 (available from April to March only).
If you change to Direct Debit we will also give you a choice of three payment dates, either the 1st, 15th or 25th of each month. Your Direct Debit will continue year on year so there is no need for you to contact your bank at the beginning and end of your instalment plan.
- Set up a Direct Debit with your bank and payments are made automatically but you stay in control - it can be cancelled at any time
- You are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee - you’ll get a full refund from your bank if an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit
- Once your Direct Debit is set up it will continue year on year so there is no need for you to contact your bank at the beginning and end of your instalment plan
- You can trust Direct Debit to be totally secure - so just relax and enjoy how it frees up your time
If you want to pay by Direct Debit, the quickest way is to set it up online within My Account.
Why sign up to My Account?
- You can view your council tax account history and manage your payments
- You can quickly access other services like benefits, move in/move out and report a problem
- It's safe and secure, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and mobile friendly
How do I set up a Direct Debit in My Account?
- Once you are logged in simply register your Council Tax details
- Click on 'View your Council Tax Accounts'
- Click on the 'Manage payment method' button and follow the steps
Your Direct Debit mandate can be printed or saved. You can view when your payments will be collected when you log into your My Account the following working day. You will receive a new bill in the post if you have set up a new direct debit or if there is a change to your existing instalments.
Call us on 020 8489 3557 with your council tax account number and your bank details. A letter and bill will be sent confirming that your details have been set up and when your first payment will be collected. The letter includes a copy of the Direct Debit guarantee scheme for your records.
You can also download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction (PDF, 34KB). Please send the completed form to:
- Haringey Council
Shared Service Centre | Revenues
PO Box 10505
Please note, if you complete and return a Direct Debit instruction, you should continue to pay your monthly instalments until you receive a new bill advising you of a new instalment plan which will be collected by Direct Debit.
Direct Debits can be collected from most bank or building society accounts with a few exceptions such as savings accounts. Please check with your bank or building society if you are unsure.
Any payments made by Direct Debit are protected under the Direct Debit guarantee. For further information visit the Direct Debit website (external link).
No Bank Account?
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) can offer you independent advice on how to open and use a basic bank account. Please call 0845 606 1234 for an information booklet, or visit the FSA website (external link).
Founded in 1968, Bacs, the not-for-profit, membership-based industry body is owned by 15 of the leading banks and building societies in the UK and Europe.
Responsible for the schemes behind the clearing and settlement of automated payments in the UK including Direct Debit and Bacs Direct Credit, Bacs has been maintaining the integrity of payment related services for over 40 years.
Since its inception, more than 79 billion transactions have been debited or credited to British bank accounts via Bacs. And in 2009 more than 5.6 billion UK payments were made this way with a total value of £3.83 trillion.
A Direct Debit is an instruction from a customer to their bank or building society authorising an organisation to collect varying amounts from their account. This can be used to ensure regular, safe and efficient payments of anything from household bills to charitable donations. Over three billion Direct Debit payments are processed by Bacs a year and 72 per cent of adults now have at least one Direct Debit commitment.
To learn more about setting up a Direct Debit to help keep your bank account in order, please contact your bank or building society.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required