COVID-19 update: for the latest information about the financial support available during the COVID-19 pandemic, visit our COVID-19: Council Services updates page.

Council Tax Discounts

Council Tax is worked out based on two adults living in a property. A discount reduces the amount of Council Tax you have to pay by 25 percent if there is only one adult resident in the property and by 50 percent if all the adult residents are disregarded.

Single Person Discount

If you are the only adult living in a property you are entitled to a 25 percent discount. The property must be your sole or main residence. To apply complete the Single Person Discount form in My Account.

Apply for Single Person Discount in My Account

If you currently receive a single person discount but your circumstances have changed and you are no longer the only adult in the property you should contact us.

Back to top

Working out if your household is entitled to a discount

Table: Discount you will receive

Number of AdultsNumber who are discountedDiscount you will receive

You do not qualify for a discount as there are 2 other adults in the property

2125% - one adult discounted

50% - all adults discounted

3225% - one adult discounted
42You do not qualify for a discount as there are 2 other adults in the property

A person may not be counted if they are in the list below.

If all members of the household are students or severely mentally impaired see our exemptions page.

Back to top

People who may qualify for a discount

Severely Mentally Impaired

Severely mentally impaired (SMI) refers to a person who has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent. This may include conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.

For a person to qualify as severely mentally impaired, we need a certificate from a doctor confirming the person meets the definition. We also need confirmation the person is entitled to one or more of the following:

  • Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance
  • care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit or Income Support with a disability premium
  • Unemployability Allowance Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit with a disability element
  • Pension Credit or an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension where constant care is needed
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

To apply complete the Severely Mentally Impaired discount form (PDF, 104KB).

You must enclose evidence of entitlement to one of the incomes listed above. We will contact the person's doctor.

Back to top


For Council Tax purposes, the carer must meet all four of these requirements:

  1. provides care for a person who is entitled to one of the following:
    • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
    • higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
    • higher rate of Attendance Allowance
    • an increased Constant Attendance Allowance
    • an increased Disablement Pension
    • an Armed Forces Independence Payment
  2. is resident in the same property as the person receiving care
  3. provides care for at least 35 hours a week
  4. is not a spouse of the person they provide care for or a parent caring for their child who is under 18

To apply complete the Carers discount form (PDF, 42KB).

Back to top

School and College Leavers

People aged 18 or 19 who leave school or finish a course at a further education college after 30 April in any year are not counted when working out a discount until 1 November of that year.

To apply complete the School and college leavers form (PDF, 28KB).

Back to top

Persons in Detention

This applies to people who are detained in a prison, hospital or other place of detention. This does not apply to a person who was imprisoned for non-payment of fines or Council Tax.

To apply complete the Persons in Detention form (PDF, 12KB).

We will contact the prison / institute for confirmation.

Back to top

Hospital Patients / Patients in homes

A person receiving care or treatment in a home or hostel is not counted when working out a discount if their sole residence is in one of the following:

  • a hospital
  • a residential care home
  • a nursing home
  • a mental nursing home
  • a hostel in England or Wales

This does not apply to somebody who is in hospital for a short time and whose main home is elsewhere.

To apply complete the Hospital Patients / Patients in homes form (PDF, 12KB).

Back to top

Student Nurses

Student nurses are not counted when working out a discount if they are on a course leading to an appropriate registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act.

Contact us to apply.

Back to top


A person of any age may be an apprentice if both of the following are met:

  • they are employed for the purpose of learning a trade or profession
  • they are on a training programme leading to a qualification accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority

The apprentice must not be in receipt of a wage or allowance of more than £195 per week.

Apprentices are not counted when working out a discount during any period in which they fall within this definition of an apprentice.

To apply complete the Apprentices application form (PDF, 27KB).

Back to top

Youth Training Trainees

This applies to a person who is under 25 years old and is receiving training which is funded by the Learning and Skills Council for England under the Employment and Training Act 1973.

To apply complete the Youth Training Trainees form (PDF, 33KB).

Back to top

Members of Religious Communities

If a person is a member of a religious community whose principal occupation is prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering, or any combination of these they may not be counted when working out a discount.

The person must have no income (with the exception of any occupational pension due to former employment) or capital of their own and must be completely dependent on the community for their needs.

To apply complete the Members of religious communities discount form (PDF, 36KB).

Back to top


Page last updated:

23 March 2020

Tell us what you think about the website

Covid-19 survey

We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.

Contact us about our services

Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Give us feedback about this page

Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

* = response required

Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.

How easy was it to get the help you wanted

Would you like to provide any further comments about your visit today?

Additional comment?

Do you wish to report a problem with a council service?

Service comment

It's quicker if you report any service issues using our online self-service pages (opens in new window).

Tell us about your experience of using the website below:

Please note this form is not for general service requests or reporting issues with a service. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.