Council Tax help
If any information on your account is incorrect, or your household’s circumstances have changed, you have a duty to tell us immediately.
These are some frequently asked questions about our online Council Tax service.
- I am new to the borough and want to register for Council Tax on My Account
- What do I need to register for Council Tax?
- I can’t find my Council Tax Account Reference number
- My address does not appear on the list
- I am trying to register to view my Council Tax account My Account but it says “we can't find a match for the details you have provided” - what does this mean?
- Our Council Tax is in more than one name. Can I register for a My Account?
- I can’t find a matching option for the method of my last payment
- I am selecting the correct method of last payment but it is saying it is incorrect?
- If I register online will I still receive my paper Council Tax bills?
- How can I tell if my online form has been received?
- Can I view the information I entered once I have submitted my online form?
- Account Summary - What does this mean?
- Can I register more than one Council Tax account?
- Discounts - why can’t I apply?
- I am having problems paying
Watch our short video explaining how to view your Council Tax account in My Account:
Note for iPhone users and Youtube. There is a known bug with iOS and Youtube, Two buttons are read before the player but provide no functionality. We advise that you skip these to access the content.
You will need to create a My Account and use the ‘Move in to Haringey’ form. You will then be able to see your Council Tax reference number online after successfully registering for Council Tax. However, in some circumstances we may have to check and complete the change. Once completed, you will receive a new bill with your Council Tax account reference number and you can then register to view and manage your council tax account.
Haringey Residents will need their Council Tax account reference number as shown on their bill to view their account details. Just click ‘Register to view and manage your Council Tax account’ and complete the required information.
Please note: You will be asked for a “known fact” about your account before you can view your details. You must provide the answer to one of the following questions:
- Your National Insurance number
- Your date of birth
- Your sort code
- Method of last Council Tax payment
View a step by step Council Tax Registration Guide (PDF, 217KB).
Your Council Tax account reference number is shown on your Council Tax bill, or any other correspondence that you have received from us about your Council Tax. The number is 7 or 11 digits long.
If you can't find your Council Tax account reference number, please send an email to email@example.com with your full name and address.
- Enter your door number and post code before searching for your address. Do not enter a flat number, for example, if you live at 87A Station Road or Flat 2, 87 Station Road, simply enter 87
- To check you are entering the address correctly, check the property information on My Haringey
- If the property is newly built, contact us, as your address will not be listed to register your Council Tax account. Once you receive your bill you will be able to register to view and manage your Council Tax account online
- If you are still experiencing problems, please complete our report a missing or incorrect address form
Please note: this form can only be used to report missing addresses within the London Borough of Haringey. If you are notifying us that you have moved into Haringey and are having problems entering your previous address details (outside of Haringey), please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate.
I am trying to register my details but it says "we can't find a match for the details you have provided" - what does this mean?
To register your My Account you must be one of the people named on the Council Tax bill. Check that you have entered the information on the registration screen exactly as it appears on your bill. If the system still won't allow you register please email email@example.com and we will investigate.
Yes. Each person named on the bill can register separately. On the Council Tax registration screen, enter just your own name exactly as it appears on the Council Tax bill.
The options available to select are:
- Payment at Post Office or other PayPoint outlet
- Cheque to council
- Telephone Payment - Credit Card
- Telephone Payment - Debit Card
- Direct Debit
- Payment to Enforcement Agent
- Bank Transfer
- Website - Paypal
- Website - Credit Card
- Website - Debit Card
- No payment as new to borough
- No payment made due to being exempt
- No payment made for other reason not listed
If you have made a payment within the past 24 hours please try to register the following day so that your payment will have had time to update on our systems.
If the system still won't allow you to register please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate.
Yes, you will still receive your bill through the post.
You can check the 'status' of your form in the 'My History' section of your My Account, which you can find at the bottom of the main screen (scroll to the bottom). If you have successfully submitted your Council Tax enquiry or Student Exemption online form the status will show 'submitted'. If any other status shows you must go back into the form and complete it fully - go to ‘My History’ and click on the form name in the 'Action' column.
Please note: it can take up to three working days for Council Tax enquiry and Student Exemption online forms to be received by the Council Tax service. The Council Tax team is currently receiving a high volume of enquiries and will respond as soon as they can.
You can see a record of your submitted Council Tax enquiry and Student Exemption online forms in the 'My History' section of your My Account for up to four weeks after submission. You can find ‘My History’ at the bottom of the main screen (scroll to the bottom). We recommend that you print a copy during this time, after which you will not be able to view the form.
- Total Balance Outstanding - this figure shows the total Council Tax you owe for the current year, plus any arrears outstanding
- Details of Billing Period - this will show you all current and previous years’ Council Tax charges and balances and how these have been calculated
- Details of Property - this link will show the current band given to your property by the valuation office agency, the date you have been liable to pay Council Tax from and has a link to our website for the current Council Tax levels for each band. If you think that your property band is incorrect there is also a link to the Valuation Office Website
For more information, visit our Understanding your Council Tax bill page.
Yes, once you have registered to gain online access to one Council Tax account, you’ll find a link to add another account in the ‘Council Tax’ menu.
In some circumstances, we may need to update your Council Tax account first before you can apply for a discount in My Account. If any information on your account is incorrect, or your household’s circumstances have changed, you must tell us immediately.
When making an online payment you will be asked for an additional security password by a system known as 3D secure. This is to protect against fraudulent card payments. Please refer to our Help with Online Payments page where you can find more information about known issues that have been brought to our attention, which may help to resolve or clarify the issues you are having. If you are still experiencing problems please email email@example.com, including any error messages, and we will investigate.