Due to essential system maintenance, our Council Tax, Benefits and Landlord portals will be unavailable from Thursday 30 March, 10pm to Monday 3 April, 8am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

We are temporarily extending the opening hours for Wood Green Customer Service Centre to help support residents while Marcus Garvey Centre is closed.

Help with Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Making a claim for housing benefit or council tax reduction

You can use Haringey’s online benefit portal to make a new claim for housing benefit and council tax reduction.

  • You will be able to upload any evidence when making your application.
  • You can save your application at various stages and finish it later. If you save your details part way through you will be given a Citizen Access Benefits key code. Make a note of this as you'll need it to log back into your form.
  • When saving your form you must set 3 security answers otherwise the form can't be continued (or retrieved by us).
  • Saved forms must be completed within 14 days of saving (this resets each time the form is saved).
  • We may contact you to ask for any additional information to support your claim.

Claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Back to top

What we need from you when you apply

  • National Insurance number for you (and your partner if applicable)
  • Full name and dates of birth of everyone in your household
  • For Housing Benefit claims – landlord’s details, the amount of rent you pay and any charges included in your rent, such as water or electricity
  • Your household income, savings, investments and expenses – including things like childcare costs and private pension contributions

Back to top

Benefits portal troubleshooting guidance

If you are having trouble with your online benefit application please visit the Benefits portal troubleshooting guidance page. It covers frequently asked questions about new claims, changes, access keys, proof uploads, viewing your claim and online benefit letters and should help you resolve your issue.

Back to top

How do I find my National Insurance number?

National Insurance numbers are issued by HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC).

Your National Insurance number can be found on your wage slips or any letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), or from HMRC.

Back to top

Has my claim or change in circumstance form been received?

You will receive an automated email confirming submission of your online claim form.

Please note: it can take up to 10 working days to process your new claim. Please ensure you submit all relevant proofs via the 'Upload evidence' form.

Back to top

Making a claim for Discretionary Housing Payments

You may also be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments if your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of your rent. 

Claim Discretionary Housing Payment

Back to top

Can I view the information I entered after I have submitted my form?

You are not able to view your answers once you have submitted the form. You are able to save or print the form before you select 'Submit'. If you need to make any changes please complete a Benefit Enquiry form.

You need to register to view housing benefit and local council tax support decision letters online.

If you opt to view your letters online you will need to give your email address and tell us your preferred method of contact is email.

  • You will only be able to view letters created after your registration date
  • We will stop sending you letters in the post
  • When we make a decision on your claim, we will send you an email to tell you there are letters available to be viewed
  • Online letters mean we can tell you about changes to your benefit quickly
  • Your letters will be stored safely and you will be able to view them at any time

Back to top

Register to view your claim and online letters 

To register to view your claim and online letters, you will need the following:

  • lead name of your claim
  • National Insurance number
  • date of birth
  • your claim reference number
  • the email address you used when you registered for this service

Register to view your Claim

Register for online letters 

Back to top

Viewing your online letters

Under 'View your claim and letters' click on the View my online letters link.

If you decide you do not want to be registered or if you change your email address please let us know by emailing rbdevelopment@haringey.gov.uk.

Back to top

Viewing your claim

Under 'View your claim and letters' click on the View my claim summary link.

With your online account you can:

  • View entitlements – this will not include rent used in calculation, applicable amount, non dependant deductions. These details are available within your online letters
  • Check payments
  • Download your entitlement and payments
  • Access your online letters
  • Tell us about any changes

Back to top

If you do not understand or disagree with our decision

If you don’t understand your benefit decision, please visit the Understanding your benefit letter page.

If you disagree with our decision, you can ask us to look at it again or make an appeal.

To find out more visit the How do I appeal a decision page.

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 3, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)