Data Protection

Haringey Council holds personal information about residents and service users. All the information about you that we hold is protected under the Data Protection Act 2018.

What is the Data Protection Act 2018?

The Data Protection Act is the legal framework that ensures your personal information is used fairly and lawfully.

By law, all organisations that hold information about you must follow the six principles set out in the Act. These principles make sure your rights are protected and state that all information must:

  • be processed fairly and lawfully and in a transparent manner
  • be obtained for specific, explicit and legitimate purposes
  • be adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • be accurate and where necessary kept up to date
  • not be kept any longer than necessary
  • be kept secure

Further information about the Data Protection Act can be found at the Information Commissioner’s website (external link).

For more detailed information about the personal information that we hold and how we use it, please see our Record of Processing Activities page.

See also:

Back to top

Your data protection rights

  • You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data including why we process personal data, how long we will keep it and who it will be shared with.
  • You have the right to access your personal data so that you can be aware of and verify the lawfulness of the processing.
  • You have the right not to be subject to automated decision-making and to be informed about such decision-making. Haringey does not use technology to make automated decisions about individuals.
  • You have the right to have inaccurate information corrected.
  • You have the right to object to processing, to erasure of information, to restrict processing and to data portability.
  • If you have given us your consent to use your personal information, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact and tell us which service you’re using so we can deal with your request.

Further information about your data protection rights can be found at the Information Commissioner’s website (external link).

To exercise any of these rights in relation to information that Haringey Council holds about you, please contact Haringey’s Data Protection Officer.

Back to top

Make a complaint

If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection Team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data. Details on how you can do this can be found at the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) (external link).

Accessing your information 

You are entitled to access the personal information that we hold about you so that you know what information we hold about you and can confirm that it is being held and processed lawfully.

There is no charge (except where requests are unreasonable or excessive). We must provide your information within one month (30 days). If the request is complex the timescale can be extended by a further two months to a total of 90 days.

Before we can deal with an access to personal information request (or Subject Access Request), we need to verify the identity of the person making the request. Haringey Council is a large organisation that holds information about individuals for many different reasons. We may require some information from you (such as which council service might hold information about you) to help us locate the information you are seeking.

Subject Access Requests

The Data Protection Act gives people the right to access information held about them. If you think that Haringey Council holds information about you and would like to access that information, please complete the following form:

Make a Subject Access Request

Are you enquiring on behalf of someone else?

We must have the written consent of the person the information is about (the 'Data Subject') to give that information to someone requesting it on their behalf.

Back to top


Page last updated:

February 6, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)

Find my nearest

Visit My Haringey to get information about your property and local area including council tax bands, parking zones, planning applications and much more