Tenants - Change of Circumstances

For Council Housing tenants only

The form below is NOT to be used to tell us about changes that may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction entitlement - find out more about changes in circumstances for Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction.

You must let us know if your household circumstances or tenancy have changed. Your housing liaison officer will send you the relevant form(s) which you should complete and return together with any supporting evidence or documentation requested.

Changes can include:

  • Someone new joining the household 
    e.g. birth of a child, foster child joins family, a partner, an adult child or a person you’re caring for moves in
  • Someone leaving the household
    e.g. someone who was living with you has left your household
  • Your name has changed 
    e.g. if you have married, divorced or changed you name in any other way, your tenancy agreement may need to be updated to include your new name
  • The tenancy was in two names (joint) and now needs to be in one name (sole)*
    e.g. a joint tenant may have moved out or died
  • The tenancy was in one name (sole) and now needs to be in two names (joint)*
    e.g. you’re married/sharing your household with another person

*Please note, you do not have an automatic right to change your tenancy (i.e. sole/joint).  

If you wish to change your tenancy from a joint tenancy to a sole tenancy, you are strongly advised to seek independent housing advice and check any implications for rent, rent arrears, Housing Benefit and Council Tax, before requesting an application form.

There is no specific provision in law relating to the granting of joint tenancies. To convert a sole tenancy to a joint tenancy all proposed joint tenants must meet the conditions of eligibility outlined in the application form.

If you wish to request a form to tell us about a change in your circumstances affecting your tenancy, please do so below:

Change of circumstance formfor Council Housing tenants ONLY

Page last updated:

June 16, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)