In debt and need advice?
The following organisations may be able to help you to:
- Identify the most important debts and take action accordingly. The law gives different creditors different ways of getting their money back
- Help plan your weekly and monthly budget
- Draw up a financial statement by looking at your income and outgoings
- Help you to decide on a plan to deal with your debts
- Negotiate with the people you owe money to
- Advise you on court procedures and help reply to court documents
Money Advice Service
Want to make the most of your money? It’s easier than you think. Answer some straightforward questions about you and your money and our free confidential health check (external link) will set out what you can do in easy steps. It takes just 5-10 minutes, doesn't involve any paperwork and your answers are confidential.
- National Debtline (external link)
Offers free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. Call free on 0808 808 4000
- Debt Advice Foundation (external link)
A registered charity giving free advice for people worried about debt
- Citizens Advice Bureau: Benefits in England (external link)
Information on benefits and tax credits for different groups of people
- HM Revenue and Customs (external link)
Help with paying tax and claiming tax credits
Welfare benefits and entitlements that are available to Haringey residents
- GOV.UK Benefits calculators (external link)
What benefits you could get. How to claim and how your benefits will be affected if you start work
- GOV.UK Energy grants (external link)
Find out what money and other help you can get to reduce your energy costs.
If you are a council tenant in rent arrears you should contact your local housing office.
If you are unable to do this yourself, adult services may be able to help. Please call our main switchboard on 020 8489 1000.
Types of debt
All debts are important, but some are more pressing than others. The following list shows what may happen if priority debts are not dealt with:
- Mortgage - repossession of your home; eviction
- Second mortgage/secured loan - repossession of your home; eviction
- Rent - eviction
- Council tax - seizure of goods by bailiffs (distraint); deductions from wages/benefits
- Water rates - supply disconnected
- Gas/electricity - supply disconnected
- Unpaid Magistrates Court fine - seizure of goods by bailiffs (distraint); deductions from wages/benefit); imprisonment
- Unpaid maintenance/child support - seizure of goods by bailiffs (distraint); deductions from wages/benefit; imprisonment
- Income tax/VAT/National Insurance - seizure of goods by bailiffs (distraint); bankruptcy
- Telephone - disconnection
- Hire purchase (not normal credit) - repossession of HP goods
- Unsecured credit card debts - County Court judgement; impaired credit rating
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required