Whole Class Instrumental Teaching (WCIT)
Haringey Music Service offers 30-week programmes of whole-class instrumental teaching to KS2 pupils (aimed primarily at year 4), delivered by specially trained teachers, including the opportunity to continue learning in years 5 and 6.
It will help your school meet the DfE pledge that ‘all pupils will have the opportunity to play a musical instrument’ as well as helping to achieve the goals set out in the National Plan for Music Education (external link), which school inspectors use as a benchmark.
We offer the following instruments:
- Strings − Violin, Viola and Cello
- World Percussion − Djembe (African drums)
30 weeks per year/normally 10 sessions per term:
Each session will normally run for up to 3 hours and include:
- Year 4 whole class lesson-up to 45 minutes. The music teachers will require 15 minutes set up time each week.
- Year 4 backup support sessions to focus on individual technique for up to 30 minutes each. Roughly 5 children per group.
- Year 5 and 6 continued ‘band’ lessons. Up to 2 classes x 30 minutes.
HMS provides two teachers for the whole session.
Days and times:
- Unless otherwise requested, sessions in schools which already have WCIT will be scheduled as currently provided.
- Sessions in schools new to WCIT will be mutually agreed before the end of the summer term. However, this will ultimately be subject to teacher availability.
Please complete the application form and return it by post or email.
Haringey Music Service
London N8 9JU
Visit our Upcoming events page to find out what events are taking place soon.
Page Last Updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required