Care to Learn

If you are a parent and are under 19 and going to be in learning or training, we can pay for your childcare.

You can claim up to £175 per child per week for childcare costs whilst you are attending school, college or another education provider.

To find out about Care to Learn, call Learner Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989.

Why should I learn?

Doing a course or training will help build a better future for you and your child(ren). It will also help you:

  • develop new skills and greater confidence
  • improve your chances of getting a job
  • mix with other people and get out and about
  • become more independent
  • perhaps get new qualifications

|Back to top

What can I get?

If you are under 19 and are learning or training we can pay for your childcare and additional travel costs.

|Back to top

What learning can I do?

  • courses in schools, sixth forms, sixth form colleges, other colleges and learning providers. There are a range of different things you could do and we will try to be flexible about how often you attend and the times of your course
  • Entry to Employment courses include training in a range of different skills and opportunities that can be tailored to suit you
  • Modern Apprenticeships and National Vocational Qualifications offering non-employed status training that will prepare you for work
  • some work on your basic skills or some refresher courses.

|Back to top

What kinds of childcare can I use?

You can use any of the following:

  • Childminder
  • Pre-school playgroup
  • Day nursery
  • Out of school club
  • Other registered childcare (such as college nursery or crèche)

|Back to top

Further information

Teenage Pregnancy Coordinator
Haringey Council
River Park House,
225 High Road
N22 8HQ

Tel: 020 8489 5054

|Back to top

Page last updated:

April 29, 2022