In-year admission to school
If your child was born between:
- 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2017 - they must be in primary education from September 2021
- 1 September 2005 and 31 August 2010 - they must be in secondary education from September 2021
You should apply for a school using our in-year form below if:
- your child is school-aged but does not have a current school place, or
- you wish to transfer them from their current school into a Haringey school
- If you are moving into Haringey
- Things to consider before applying
- How to apply
- Responding to your offer
- Waiting lists
- More information
We cannot reserve school places in advance, so if you and your children are moving into to Haringey, do not submit an in-year application any earlier than two weeks before your children arrive.
Remember to include on your application:
- Your children's current address
- Your children's new address
- Their planned move date
When your children arrive in Haringey you should let us know they are here and ready to start school. This will mean we can process your application correctly.
Moving your child from one primary or secondary school to another is a big decision for you and for your child.
You should consider the following before you make your decision:
- Why are you moving your child? Can you resolve any concerns you have with the school without moving your child?
- How will your child cope with learning new rules and having to do things differently, or possibly having missed important work? Children who transfer schools after their exam subjects have been chosen in Year 9 may find that they can’t do the same subjects, or that the exam board and courses are different.
- If your child has brothers or sisters at the same school, transferring one child may affect their siblings.
- Will it be difficult for you to have children attending different schools? For example with drop-off at the beginning of the day or pick-up in the afternoon, or because the schools have different term dates?
Keep in mind that most schools in Haringey are full and we may not be able to offer you the school that you want.
To make sure that you are taking the decision in the best interests of your child we recommend that you sit down with your child and ask them whether or not they want to move to another school. If they tell you that they are being bullied or not getting on with other pupils, you should speak to your child’s Form Tutor or Head of Year first, to resolve any problems your child may be having.
If you’ve done this and still have concerns, or are unhappy about the way the school is dealing with your concerns, you should make an appointment to speak to the headteacher of the school.
Please remember, a decision to move a child from one school to another should not be taken without careful consideration.
- Read about schools and how to apply in the Primary School Admissions Booklet (PDF, 6MB) and Secondary School Admissions Booklet (PDF, 5MB)
- Find your local schools using Haringey's Distance Calculator
- If you are intending to move to Haringey, do not submit an in-year application until two weeks before your move.
- Apply online:
- If you have already completed this form within the last month, and you wish to report a change of circumstances or would like to change your school preferences, please do not complete a new form, but instead email the School Admissions team: email@example.com
If you would like to apply for a school outside Haringey, please contact the local authority the school is located in for details on how to apply.
If you cannot apply online you can email or call the number below to have a paper form posted to you.
Your child's offer of a school place will be emailed to you. You should respond online using the information provided with your offer:
Alternatively, you can respond in writing to the email below.
If we are not able to offer your child a place at one of your preferred schools then they will be placed on a waiting list for the school. You can check their waiting list position online.
It can take up to 15 school days to process an application, so your child will not appear on waiting lists immediately after you have submitted an application.
- Find a list of Haringey schools on the on the Primary Schools and Secondary Schools pages.
- All the information about how to apply for schools can be found in our Primary School Admissions Booklet (PDF, 6MB) and Secondary School Admissions Booklet (PDF, 5MB).
- Take a look at which schools also have Supplementary Information Forms (SIFs)
- Most Haringey schools do not have catchment areas. Find out about how Haringey measures distances.
- How to report a possible Fraudulent School Application.
- How to apply under the Social and Medical Criterion.
- How to apply if your child has Special Educational Needs.
- Haringey School Admission Arrangements.
Tel: 020 8489 1000
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required