Where to live?
You may want to live away from home when you are 18 or over. If you need help and support to live away from home, you will benefit from an assessment from a social worker. In the assessment the social worker will discuss with you what help and support you need. This might be:
- Information and advice, or someone to talk to about keeping your home and looking after yourself
- Someone to come to your home and help you with activities of daily living, such as washing/choosing clothing/shopping and cooking/getting out and about
- Somewhere different to live. This might be with or without other young people around you.
- Someone to help you in your new home, some or all of the time.
The types of support that Haringey can offer includes:
- Supported Living – this is someone coming into a house to help you. You could ask to move in with a group of young people with some support staff, or live on your own with support staff visiting.
- Residential or Nursing Care – this means living away from home in a house that has staff trained to support you with your health or other needs
- Housing Related Support – this means getting advice and support about how to pay your rent and bills, budgeting and cooking
- Shared Lives- some people offer rooms in their own home. You can arrange to meet the people who have rooms to see if you would get on and could live together.
If you are looking to stay in education, please look at the colleges and apprenticeships in the local area. The college will discuss with you courses they provide near to where you live. Please note that if you are thinking of residential colleges, these will be discussed with you by the SEN department to see if it meets your educational needs. Please let your SEN officer or your social worker know if you are considering visiting residential colleges.
If you have a social worker, they will be able to help advise you on your housing options.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required