Ofsted awards the highest rating to our SEND service in 2024 inspection! Read the full report.

Universities - higher education

Disabled Student’s Allowance

Once a young person enters higher education, their Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will "cease to maintain", as the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) support replaces the education support provided by an EHCP. 

The DSA can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, such as a computer, if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers, such as a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter or specialist note taker
  • extra travel that's needed to attend your course or placement because of your disability
  • other disability-related study support, for example, having to print additional copies of documents for proofreading

For details on eligibility and how to apply, visit the GOV.UK website (external link).

Finding the right university

Many universities have provision for students with special educational needs or disabilities.


Page Last Updated:

May 8, 2024