Parents and Carers

Afasic - unlocking speech and language

Advice and information services including helpline, email support, free to download factsheets and access to local networks.

Audiology and Vestibular medicine

The audiovestibular medicine department at St. Ann’s Hospital is a secondary/tertiary level service that provides a fully comprehensive service in audiovestibular (hearing and balance issues) medicine for both adults and children.

This consultant led service provides specialist diagnostics, assessment, and treatment primarily for the residents of Haringey and for newborns and children in Enfield.


BlindAid (formerly known Metropolitan Society for the Blind) is a registered charity helping visually impaired people in London.

As well as providing company and conversation our visitors offer the following support: Assistance with reading correspondence and occasionally, writing letters; Loans of audio equipment arranged through the British Wireless for the Blind Fund and other services.

Children and Young People’s services (NHS) 

Advice on needs assessments and support available.

Camp Simcha

Camp Simcha exists to provide practical and emotional support for Jewish families where children are suffering from serious illness including premature babies.

Support is provided throughout the whole of the UK to families who have children and young people aged 0-18.

The Communication Trust 

The Communication Trust is a coalition of over 50 not-for-profit organisations. They support everyone who works with children and young people in England to support their speech, language, and communication.

Deafblind UK

Organisation for dual sensory impaired people.

Dental services

Specialist dental services are available for Haringey residents (for children, young people, and adults) who have complex needs and are unable to be seen by a general dentist.

Patients must be referred by a dentist or other health/social care professional.

Educational Psychology service (EPS)

They provide high-quality psychological support to children, young people and their families to improve their educational and wellbeing outcomes.

Looking after a child or young person’s mental health 

There are times when we all feel the strain. As parents and carers, there are ways we can support children and young people to give them the best chance to stay mentally healthy.

Mental health education

Mental health resources for children, students, parents, carers, and school/college staff.


Finding the right information and support for you can be confusing. Mencap are here to help.

The Mental Capacity Act, 2005 (Applicable for people 16 years old and over)

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) 2005, is designed to protect and empower people who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment. It applies to people aged 16 and over.

Mind in Haringey

Mind in Haringey provides information, advice and support to people affected by mental health problems, primarily in Haringey. They work to prevent mental health problems, promote mental well being and ensure those with mental health problems are respected and included in our local community.

Moorfields Eye Hospital

Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the world's leading centres for eye health. Children and Young People are seen at the Richard Desmond Children's Eye Centre located on Peerless Street.

Movement Matters, Children and Young People

A national organisation that aims to enable blind and partially sighted children to achieve educational and recreational goals.

National Childbirth Trust (NCT)

NCT supports parents through the first 1,000 days of being a parent, to have the best possible experience of pregnancy, birth and early parenthood. The website provides advice around; bonding and caring for your baby, emotions, work and relationships and friendships.

NCT also has a range of fun, informative and social antenatal classes and postnatal courses to support your new life as a parent.

Newborn hearing screening

The Newborn Hearing Screening Programme is a sector wide programme provided by Whittington Health offering hearing screening to all babies born across North Central London (NCL).

The screening teams are based at the Whittington Hospital, Royal Free, UCLH, Barnet Hospital, and North Middlesex University Hospital.

Parent Infant Psychology Service (PIPS)

Our parent infant psychology service (PIPS) is a therapy service set up to support mums and dads, and their babies, living in Haringey.

Personal health budget

The budget is for children and young people from birth to 18 years that are eligible for continuing care support.


POhWER is a charity and membership organisation. We provide information, advice, support and advocacy to people who experience disability, vulnerability, distress and social exclusion.

Resources for parents from the NHS

NHS services for new parents.

SCOPE - Sleep Right for families of disabled children who have problems sleeping

SCOPE's Sleep Right service offers support from a sleep practitioner experienced in working with disabled children, practical advice and suggestions, as well as tailored sleep plans and telephone and email support.


Sense is a national charity that supports and campaigns for children and adults who are deafblind.  They provide tailored support, advice, and information as well as specialist services to all deafblind people, their families, carers and the professionals who work with them.

In addition, they support people who have single sensory impairment with additional needs.

Sleep tips from the NHS

Feeling relaxed is important in the run up to bedtime for both parent and child.  If your child is experiencing difficulties sleeping it can make you both feel anxious.  Youngsters often pick up on stress levels so try to create a relaxing and calm environment as bedtime approaches.

Wide Fit Shoes - Disabled and Special Needs footwear and advice

Wide Fit Shoes offer shoes for orthotics designed for anybody that wears corrective devices including braces and foot splints related to disability or a health condition.

Page last updated:

April 20, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)