What to expect following an autism diagnosis

Depending on the age of the child, the next steps after diagnosis will be different:

  • Parents/carers of children aged 5 years and under, diagnosed at the Child Development Centre St Ann’s, are offered a Family Seminar post-diagnostic parent group to talk about the diagnosis. Following on from this, families can access the National Autistic 'Early Bird' programme. You can contact the team to find out more at last@haringey.gov.uk
  • For children over 5, the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) offers post-diagnostic support for the young person and their family if needed

The Haringey Language and Autism Support Team (a local authority education team that support schools), offer support around the big transition phases (i.e. entering Reception, transitioning from primary to secondary school and leaving school to attend a local college).

The team also offer the support of sharing the diagnosis with young people from year 6 onwards (with parental consent). For more information on this, email last@haringey.gov.uk

Page last updated:

October 17, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)