About Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs)
An Education, Health and Care Plan (or EHCP) replaces Statements of Special Educational Needs
EHCPs have the same legal status as Statements of Special Educational Needs, but are designed to cover all of the child or young person’s needs across education, health and social care. Your child's education, health and care plan should outline what your child needs to prepare them for adulthood, and fulfil their aspirations. If it's important that the outcomes and provision in your child's plan are designed to help them to achieve their aspirations for the future.
What should go on a health care plan?
Your child's health care plan should be written by the multidisciplinary team working with your child. For instance, if your child has significant physical needs that require the use of equipment for proper positioning, this may include Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy.
Your child’s health care plan should include:
- You child’s medical condition, its triggers, signs, symptoms and treatments
- You child’s needs, including medication (dose, side effects and storage) and other treatments. It might include other considerations such as time and facilities needed to give the medicine's, equipment, testing, access to food and drink where this is used to manage their condition, dietary requirements and environmental issues e.g. crowded corridors, travel time between lessons
- Specific support for your child’s educational, social and emotional needs – for example, how absences will be managed, requirements for extra time to complete exams, use of rest periods or additional support in catching up with lessons, counselling sessions
- The level of support your child might need in class
We have reviewed the template we will use for your child's education health and care plan alongside parent representatives and other professionals. As from January 2020 the education health and care needs assessment and plan will look like this:
If you have an education health and care plans before this date, they will look like this:
- View the EHC Plan Template (PDF, 218KB)
The EHCP will be reviewed annually. The document below was made by some young people with Statements or Education Health and Care plans. This document outlines how they like to be involved in the reviews of their own plans.
Page Last Updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required