See our Local Offer News and SEND Local Offer Review and Action Plan pages for details of our plans to expand our special schools.

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs)

The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, schools or colleges. Some children and young people may require an Education, Health and Care needs assessment in order for the council to decide whether it is necessary for it to make provision in accordance with an EHCP.

An Education, Health and Care Plan will set out clearly the special educational needs of a child or young person, what support they need, and who should provide it.

  • The Education section of the plan will explain what is needed for the child to achieve the best they can in their learning.  It will say which school or college the child will go to
  • The Health section of the plan will set out any health services or health support that the child needs to ensure they can learn and participate fully in the curriculum
  • The Social Care section of the plan will explain any services that the council will provide to support your child and family to live as ‘ordinary’ a life as possible

Page Last Updated:

21 January 2019

How can we improve this page?

Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.

* = response required

Use this space to tell us how the page could be improved. Please note if you want a response then you will also need to leave some contact details here.

Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.