5 to 15 year olds

Most children and young people with special educational needs go to mainstream schools alongside other children without such needs. This helps children to make friends locally and be part of the community.

Primary schools are usually for children aged 5-11, but there are also infant schools for ages 5-7, and junior schools for ages 7-11.

Secondary schools are usually for young people aged 11 to 16 years of age, but some called University Technical Colleges are for 14 to 19 year olds.

Service personnel

If you have a child with SEND and are from a service family, you can find information on education, and the education of children with SEN in The Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) within the Ministry of Defence. This provides advice and guidance to service parents, educational establishments and local authorities on educational issues relating to children of service personnel, including issues relating to SEN.

The children of service personnel is a group referenced in chapter 10 of the Code of Practice.

Back to top


Page Last Updated:

December 23, 2020

Tell us what you think about this page

Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.

If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.