How to get help


Under the Children Act 1989, every child is entitled to an assessment if they are thought to be 'in need'

The Children Act defines 'in need' as being:

  • Children who are unlikely to achieve, maintain or have the opportunity to achieve or maintain a reasonable standard of health or development without the provision of services by a local authority under Part 3 of the Act
  • Children whose health or development is likely to be significantly impaired or further impaired without the provision of local authority services under Part 3 of the Act
  • Children with disabilities
  • Children who are at risk of significant harm, or who have suffered significant harm

Assessments are carried out by Social Workers in the Assessment Team and may or may not result in the provision of services.

Social Workers can also offer support to families in need when resources allow, or may refer them to other services or agencies.

Back to top

Making a referral or requesting an assessment or seeking advice

If you want to make a referral, request an assessment or seek advice, please contact:

Monday to Thursday: 8.45am to 5pm

Friday: 8.45am to 4.45pm

Back to top

What to do if you're worried a child is being abused or neglected

If you are concerned or worried that a child is being abused or neglected

Please use the following link: Protecting vulnerable children.

Back to top


Page last updated:

July 4, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)