Allegations against staff who work with children
All organisations providing services to children and young people must ensure that their staff and volunteers (paid, unpaid, casual, agency and self-employed workers) are safe to do so.
The vast majority of adults who work with children/young people act professionally and aim to provide a safe and supportive environment for the children and young people they work with. However, there are adults who will deliberately seek out, create or exploit opportunities to abuse children.
The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) in Children and Young People's Services should be alerted to all cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:
- Behaved in a way that has harmed a child, or may have harmed a child;
- Possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child;
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates he or she would pose a risk of harm if they work regularly or closely with children.
This applies to allegations both in and outside the work place.
This is in line with:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (external link)
- The London Child Protection Procedures - Chapter 7 (external link)
- Keeping Children Safe In Education (external link) - for education settings
The LADO is involved from the initial phase of the allegation through to the conclusion of the case. They will provide advice, guidance and help to determine whether the allegation sits within the scope of the procedures. The LADO helps co-ordinate information-sharing with the right people and will also monitor and track any investigation, with the aim to resolve it as quickly as possible.
- Haringey’s LADO is Sarah Roberts
For advice and information about allegations against staff and volunteers please contact us on 020 8489 2968/1186 or email LADO@haringey.gov.uk
You can download the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) referral form here:
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required