Child Protection

What should you do if you are concerned about a child?

If you have concerns that a child may be at risk of significant harm or has already been harmed or abused then you should make immediate telephone contact with Haringey's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).

Please do not keep your worries to yourself. If the child is suffering actual significant harm at this point then you should telephone the police on 999. An example would be if a parent collected a child from school and was intoxicated or a parent was in the process of physically abusing a child.

How to make contact through the MASH

Everyone who comes into contact with children and young people has a role to play in identifying welfare and safeguarding concerns, and taking prompt action to share these concerns and relevant information with the local council.

This includes all professionals working with children and young people and their families, including teachers and nursery staff, children’s centres, doctors and health workers, housing support officers, police and probation officers, family support services, social workers and voluntary and community run organisations.

It also includes children and young people who have concerns over their own welfare or issues within their household, or parents/carers and wider family members and neighbours who identify that a child may need some help or additional support.

Please use the numbers below to contact staff for advice:

  • Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm; Friday 8.45am to 4.45pm
    Tel: 020 8489 4470
  • Out of office hours, including weekends the Emergency Duty Team
    Tel: 020 8489 0000

Please only use the out of hours number if you are calling outside normal working hours. When ringing out of hours your call will by logged by our call centre who will take brief details. An Emergency Duty social worker will ring you back. Do not use this number if a child needs immediate assistance from the Police or Ambulance Services. In these cases call 999.

During your phone call, if you are a professional working with children, you may be asked to complete a referral form within 48 hours, which should be emailed securely to

Where there is no immediate risk of significant harm or abuse to the child, but where you believe some early help and additional support may be needed, professionals should begin by completing a referral form and then emailing this to .

The MASH form provides a common template that collects information on:

  • the child and their parent/carer
  • the reasons for their contact
  • current family and home situation
  • your initial thoughts on the child and family’s strengths and resources, and their needs and worries
  • services that you know are currently working with the child, including their GP and early years/school/further education or training provider
  • the child and the parent/carer’s comment on the contact and their current circumstances

In the majority of cases, professionals should also obtain prior consent to make the contact from the child’s parent/carer.

Advice is always available during the day from professionals. The exception is when you believe that contacting the parent/carer could place a child or another adult at risk of significant harm. In these exceptional circumstances, or if consent is refused or cannot be obtained, you should still contact the Council and submit the rest of the MASH form as outlined above.

The case will still be reviewed to see whether escalation is needed and consent overridden and the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub will then undertake checks.

Back to top

The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)

The MASH is a collection of agencies who are co-located and share information in order to identify risks to children and young people and to carry out confidential screening, research and referral of vulnerable children. These co-located agencies are the Police, Health, Housing, Probation as well as Children’s social care.

These agencies will work together to ensure vulnerable children and young people are identified and properly cared for and protected.

Back to top

Further Information

Haringey Safeguarding Children Partnership (external link)
River Park House
London N22 8HQ

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 26, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)