National Clean Air Day
Clean Air Day 2020
Clean Air Day 2020 took place on the 8 October 2020. Unfortunately the ongoing COVID-19 situation meant that we were unable to hold the events we had planned.
Details of what we did in 2019 are available below.
Together we made 20 June a Clean Air Day
Air pollution is a real issue that is having serious impacts on our health. It is associated with several adverse health effects and it is recognised as a contributing factor in the onset of heart disease and cancer. Additionally, air pollution particularly affects the most vulnerable in society namely children, older people, and those with pre-existing heart and lung conditions.
What we did on Clean Air Day
Council Staff Actions
- We provided information and advice to council staff to tell them what they can do to improve air quality, such as cycling or walking to work or turning off their car engine when stationary. Promotion of other means of transportation, eg bikes, scooters etc in order to demonstrate an alternative to driving
- We promoted our staff pool bike scheme and the staff lunchtime health walks
- Anti-Idling campaigning took place at two schools (Bounds Green Primary School and Coleridge School) during drop off and pick up periods. Our Enforcement officers were also be present. We handed out leaflets and materials relating to air quality
- The Smarter Travel Team will also hold air pollution events at Mulberry Primary School. Activities will include play sessions in the playground, workshops and walk badges
- We will provide schools with a crocodile costume to use as part of their walking bus
- To promote the message widely to residents, an online campaign targeting key audiences (parents, office staff) to promote the benefits of leaving the car and the impact pollution is having on the community will be delivered
- All schools within the borough will be sent information and resources to use on the day
Actions for businesses
We encouraged local business to take a look at the Ultra Low Emission Zone information (external link) available on the TFL website.
Clean air day leaflets
- Discover the side streets (PDF, 139KB)
- Don’t idle your engine (PDF, 146KB)
- Give your car the day off (PDF, 137KB)
- Go electric (PDF, 130KB)
- Tackle air pollution indoors (PDF, 139KB) - by opening windows and using extractor fans to ventilate, burn dry, well-seasoned wood and choose 'low VOC' labelled paints and varnishes
- Canal boat leaflet (PDF, 284KB) - adopt cleaner and smokeless fuels, and use appropriate ovens, wood burners and stoves
Read more about Clean Air Day
- Clean Air Day website (external link)
- Clean Air Day - Events (external link)
- Clean Air Day - Global Action Day (external link)
Contact us for more information
Carbon Management (Pollution Team)
Level 1 - River Park House
225 High Road
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required