Haringey’s high streets and town centres are the heart of the community. They are not only places to shop but to live, work and play too.
COVID-19 has meant we have spent more time in our local areas than ever before. Our local shops have got us through some tough times. Even though restrictions have now been lifted, please don’t forget about your local shops - they still need our support.
If you shop locally, you are:
- Helping the High Street and supporting the local economy: shopping at local Haringey businesses pumps money into the economy which in turn helps to aid the national recovery across the country
- Saving money: local shops in Haringey offer a wide range of products and services at affordable prices thereby saving you a pretty penny
- Creating and sustaining local jobs: the more you shop locally, the greater the demand for products and the need for more employees, this in turn creates new jobs and sustains the need for local, Haringey employees
- Supporting wages paid to local people: a large percentage of local businesses employ Haringey residents. As a result, wages are paid to local people who can in turn spend money locally.
- Sustaining our communities: A vibrant town centre is often the result of retained local shops and services. Shopping from local businesses helps to keep them open and therefore keeps our communities vibrant
- Helping the environment: local shops in Haringey often stock a high percentage of locally sourced goods which in turn reduces our global footprint. In addition, the closer you buy from home, the more likely you are to walk or cycle there, therefore reducing CO2 emissions
- Helping local independent shops invest in their communities: more profitable small businesses in the borough means they can grow, leading to more local benefits
You can visit Haringey’s Business Directory to find details of local retailers, food and drink venues, hairdressers, gift shops, and much more! Let’s make a conscious decision to Live.Shop.Local and support our local economy today.
If you are a business and would like to be featured in the directory, please go to the Haringey Business Directory and complete the add your business e-form.
Celebrate the Festive season in Haringey
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and this year there’ll be sparkle, joy and festive cheer in abundance. Haringey Council has teamed up with Town Centre Traders Associations across the borough to offer you a bumper load of festive fun this November and December.
Find out what to see and do, as Christmas trees, twinkling lights and festive decorations pop up across Haringey. Visit our dedicated Festive Haringey page!
We are also putting together a festive advent calendar this year. If you are a resident, some fantastic offers will be appearing courtesy of local businesses from 1 December. Make sure you check out the calendar each day to see which shops are doing something special!
Shop local, support your high streets, spread the small business love and most of all, have fun!
A Good Economy
Supporting our local businesses and high streets has always been a priority for the council. Our aim is to grow a Good Economy in Haringey - where everyone benefits.
The Good Economy Recovery Plan was developed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic has had a significant impact across Haringey, particularly on local hospitality, food and beverage sectors.
The Good Economy Recovery Plan and the High Streets Recovery Action Plan are our commitments to:
- Re-open and support our high streets and town centres
- Support businesses through recovery and renewal
See Haringey’s Good Economy Recovery Plan for details of both plans.
The council has been working closely with businesses and key partners to make sure that our businesses get the support they need; in the way they want it.
If you think your local shop, restaurant or service provider may need some help, please encourage them to reach out for some FREE support by contacting us via email at email@example.com, and we’ll touch base with them.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required