Trading Standards - Consumers

Making a complaint to trading standards or getting advice

To make a complaint to Trading Standards about a trader or if you want consumer advice you should first contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS). CACS is a free government approved consumer advice service which provides confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues concerning goods, services, energy and postal services.

What happens next?

Once you have made a complaint to CACS, they will pass on all complaints relating to Haringey based businesses and consumers to the Haringey Trading Standards team for monitoring and further action as necessary. If the trader is outside Haringey they will also inform the Local Authority where the business is based.

Trading Standards receive an extremely large volume of reports each year and only have limited resources, therefore we cannot fully investigate every complaint we receive.

Please note - we will not contact you about your complaint unless we require further information.

All complaints are valuable to us however, as we use this information to monitor the activities of traders in the borough, set future priorities and initiate enforcement action through the analysis of complaint trends.

Further information on consumer problems

A wide range of consumer guides and advice is available on the Citizens Advice Guide website (external link).

Problem with a loan shark?

If you want to report a problem with a loan shark, visit the loan sharks page on the GOV.UK website (external link).

Reporting a fraud or scam

If you feel you have been a victim of a fraud or internet crime, then Action Fraud (external link) is the UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre. It provides a central point of contact for information about fraud and financially motivated Internet crime.

Call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or fill in the online complaint form on their website (external link).

Reporting of Rogue Traders / Cold Callers

Please find information below on what to look out for and how to deal with Rogue Traders and Cold Callers:

The UK European Consumer Centre (external link) can provide assistance on your consumer rights in Europe and assist with cross border consumer disputes.

See the Trading Standards Institute website (external link) for the latest information on product recalls and product safety.

The GOV.UK website (external ink) shows how the Department of Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) make sure that people have the information and protection they need when they buy goods and services.

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 25, 2023