Temporary event notice

What is a Temporary Event Notice?

If you wish to hold an occasional event that includes a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises, you will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Back to top

Eligibility criteria

A TEN event must:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

    Back to top


    You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

    You must apply at least 10 working days before your event.

    Working days do not include:

    • the day we receive your application
    • the day of the event
    • bank holidays, a Saturday or Sunday

    Late TEN

    You can apply for a late TEN between 5 and 9 working days before your event.

    Please be aware this does not include the day you submit the notice or the day of the event.

    Also be aware that if we receive an objection notice from either the police or environmental health to a late TEN, you will not be able to hold your event.

    Last submission dates for 2023

    Event nameEvent date(s)Apply for a TEN by
    Spring Bank Holiday29 May12 May
    August Bank Holiday28 August11 August
    Halloween31 October16 October
    Guy Fawkes5 November20 October
    St Andrew's Day30 November15 November
    Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/Boxing Day24-25-26 December8 December
    New Year's Eve31 December13 December

    Application form

    Please complete the application form (external link) and return to us by email.

    If your form is returned to us by post, you must also send a copy of your application to:

    • the police licensing officer
    • planning enforcement

    This must be done at least 10 days before your event.

    Please see the responsible authority contacts for further information.

    Fee: £21.

    Back to top

    After you’ve applied

    You will be granted the TEN as long as all criteria is met and no objections are raised.

    Tacit consent will apply. This means you can act as though your TEN notice is granted if you have not heard from us after 10 working days.

    If your TEN application is rejected, we will contact you.

    Back to top

    Number of TENs granted

    If you hold a personal licence

    Holding a personal licence means you can have no more than 50 TENs per calendar year – 10 of these can late TENs.

    If you don’t hold a personal licence

    Without a personal licence you can have no more than 5 TENs per calendar year – 2 of these can be late TENs.

    A single premises

    One single premises can have up to 20 TENs, which cannot add up to more than 26 days, in one year.

    The 26-day limit includes part days. This means an event running from 6pm on one day until 6am the next is counted as a 2-day event.

    There must be at least 24 hours between 2 TENs at the same premises.

    Back to top

    Current list of issued TENs

    Temporary Event Notices - 6 May 2023 (PDF, 19KB)

    Back to top


    020 8489 8232


    Back to top


    Page last updated:

    May 10, 2023

    Tell us what you think about this page

    Problem with a service?
    If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

    Help us improve this page
    If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

    * = response required

    Ease of use

    Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

    Service required

    What was the main service you were interested in today?

    Purpose of visit

    What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

    Device and browser information

    It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

    Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
    Which browser are you using? (optional)

    Your comments

    Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

    Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


    Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)