Explosives and fireworks
The Explosives Regulations 2014 (external link) covers explosives’ regulations for:
- placing on the market
Trading standards enforces:
- safe storage
- separation distances
The main guidance:
- is aimed at more complex and larger operations
- contains technical guidance and background information
- will help those in charge to follow safety and security rules
It is produced by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE):
Fireworks must be stored and used safely and responsibly.
We enforce firework legislation, together with HSE. This is to protect consumers and the general public.
Please see the following information on firework safety:
- Explosives Industry Group – guides to firework displays (external link)
- Health and Safety Executive:
Where to apply
This depends on the quantity and type of explosive you want to store.
- manufacture explosives you need to apply for a licence from HSE (external link)
- wish to store 2,000kg or more of explosive you need to apply for a licence from HSE (external link)
- wish to store up to 2,000kg of an explosive that requires an explosives certificate (eg blasting explosive or black powder) you need to apply for a licence or registration from your local police (external link)
- wish to store up to 2,000kg of explosive you will need a licence from us – see below
Apply to store up to 2,000kg of explosive
Please download, complete and return the form to email@example.com.
Application form: Explosives Application - Storage (PDF, 55KB)
We will normally visit the proposed store.
< 250kg NEC
< 250kg NEC
> 250kg NEC
> 250kg NEC
We will take payment over the phone once we accept your application. You will need a debit or credit card. You will be given a reference number.
If you need the licence for part of the year only, you will pay the amount covering the length of time the licence is needed.
No VAT is payable on these fees.
We will issue a certificate which will, in most cases, set out the:
- name and address of the licensee/registered person
- address of the store
- amount and type of explosive that may be kept there
Tel: 020 8489 8232
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required