Display on Footway Licences
- Display goods on the footway
- Placing tables and chairs on the footway
- Apply for a license
- Fees and Charges
- Contact us
Traders wishing to display goods on the footway outside their premises must apply for a licence from the council.
- There are certain roads or parts of roads where Licences are not granted.
- The goods you display on the footway must be of the same goods as those predominantly sold within the shop.
- You must provide a suitably constructed trolley, stand or stall that can be easily removable in the event of any emergency, for the maintenance of the footpath and always at the end of every days trading.
Other conditions apply. For more details, please see the guidance notes at the bottom of this page or contact us.
Shopkeepers with private forecourts
Some shopkeepers have private forecourts where they may trade without a licence because they already pay the business rate for the site. Where forecourts are very narrow the council may entertain a small licensed display on the footway.
If you are not sure whether you need a licence to display goods outside your premises, please contact us.
The council can grant annual and temporary licences (valid up to six months) to place tables and chairs on the footway outside catering establishments.
In some parts of the borough, the council may have a policy of not granting a licence: there are various reasons for not granting a licence.
For more details, please see the guidance notes at the bottom of this page or contact us.
The application must be made by an individual and not a partnership or company. That individual should be in attendance at the premises. Every completed application form must be accompanied by two identical passport-type photographs of the applicant taken within the preceding twelve months, both signed by that applicant on the reverse sides, and an application fee is payable at this stage.
You can download an application form from the attached files section below. Once we receive your completed application form, a council officer will visit your premises.
Apply online on the Business Link website:
- Application for a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement (external link)
- Application to change a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement (external link)
Online payment Terms and Conditions
The following credit or debit cards are accepted in Haringey:
Maestro - Mastercard Debit - Mastercard Credit - Visa Credit - Visa Debit (formerly Delta) and Visa Electron
Terms and conditions
- We cannot accept liability if payment is refused or declined by the card supplier.
- If the card supplier declines payment, the council is under no obligation to bring this fact to the customer's attention.
- Customers should check with their card supplier to ensure that payment has been deducted from their relevant account.
- Due to end of day processing, this service will not be available between 10pm and 11pm every weekday evening (Mon- Fri).
- Users should note that any payments in process after the 10pm deadline need to be completed by 10.05pm.
Details of our Fees and Charges can be viewed on our Street Trading Fees and Charges 2015-16 Page
The Licensing Team
Level 1 North
River Park House
225 High Road
Tel 020 8489 1335
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required