Licence to display goods outside a shop

You need a licence to display goods on the pavement outside your premises. 

There are certain roads, or parts of roads, where licences are not granted. For information on this please contact us.

Licence conditions 

To get a licence you must meet certain conditions: 

  • the goods displayed on the pavement outside your shop must be the same as those mostly sold in your shop 
  • you must provide a well-constructed trolley, stand or stall that can be easily moved: 
    • in the event of any emergency 
    • for the maintenance of the footpath 
    • at the end of trading every day 
  • your display cannot: 
    • obstruct the entrance and exit to the shop
    • extend across any other doorway, even if it’s not in use 
  • you cannot let out the footpath trading area to someone else 
  • you must meet all relevant food, health and safety, and other regulations 

If any of these conditions are not met, or there’s a change in ownership, we may remove or change a licence. 

Back to top

Shopkeepers with private forecourts 

If you wish to trade on a private forecourt you can usually do so without a licence. This is because you already pay business rates. 

But if your display or vehicle is within 7 metres of the highway, you may need a licence. 

Please contact us for further information. 

Back to top

Applying for a licence 

Applications must be made by an individual and not a partnership or company. That individual should be in attendance at the premises. 

What you must provide 

To apply you must provide: 

  • a copy of your commercial waste agreement 
  • a copy of your public liability insurance – at least £5 million cover (certificate and schedule list) 
  • a criminal records bureau check – this is available from the Disclosure and Barring Service (external link) 
  • a passport style photograph, taken within the last 12 months, of the person applying for the licence 
  • proof of your identity (eg passport, driving licence) 
  • proof of your address (eg bank statement, utility bill, council tax) 


To apply please contact us


Please see our list of fees

Back to top

After applying 

After receiving your completed application form, a council officer will visit your premises. 

If you are given a licence, we’ll tell you the maximum display area and costs involved.

Back to top


020 8489 8232 


Back to top


Page last updated:

December 28, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)