Club premises certificate
- Qualifying club
- How to apply
- After applying
- Objections to the certificate application
- Duration of the licence
- Annual fee
- Licence changes
A club premises certificate allows you to supply alcohol and regulated entertainment (external link) in a qualifying club.
A qualifying club must satisfy the following conditions:
- it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
- the club rules state a person must wait at least 2 days from their application before getting membership privileges
- alcohol and entertainment are only provided to members and their guests
- only someone over 18 and elected to do so can purchase and serve alcohol
- there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially by buying or selling alcohol
- the club is established and conducted in good faith
- the club has at least 25 members
You must submit:
- a completed application form
- a plan of the premises
- a copy of the club rules
- a club premises declaration form (Word, 243KB)
- details of the club operating schedule – the club activities and timings – this will be filled in on the application form
We may inspect your premises as part of the application.
Please see the table of fees.
Payment will be taken over the phone after receiving your form.
Your application will go through a 28-day consultation process.
During that time you must:
- advertise your application
- notify responsible authorities (only if application form is posted to us)
Advertising your application
Applications for a premises licence must be advertised by putting:
- a notice on the premises
- an announcement in a local newspaper
Please see instructions and template:
Notifying responsible authorities
If you post your form to us, you must send copies of your application to the relevant responsible authorities.
Receiving your club premises certificate
At the end of the 28-day consultation period, you will be granted the certificate if:
- there are no outstanding objections
- all procedural requirements are met
If you haven’t heard from us after the 28-day consultation period, tacit consent applies. This means you can act as if the certificate has been granted.
We’ll let you know if we receive any objections to your application.
Applications with outstanding objections are taken to the next available Licensing Sub Committee.
The Licensing Sub Committee will consider the objections and make a decision within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period.
You can appeal licensing decisions.
Once approved, your certificate is valid for the life of the club, unless stated otherwise.
You need to pay a fee for your club premises certificate each year on the anniversary of the day you were granted the certificate.
Please see the table of fees.
We will send you an invoice each year to pay this.
If you need to make changes to the licence, please see our changes page.
020 8489 8232
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required