Animal Boarding Establishments
- Licensing of Animal Boarding Establishments
- Application Evaluation Process
- Will tacit consent apply?
- How to apply
- Failed Application Redress
- Offences and penalties
- Further information
The keeping and running of animal boarding establishments (Catteries and Kennels) is controlled by the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.
No person may keep a boarding establishment for animals without first obtaining a licence from the council.
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment
- keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006.
Where a licence is granted, that licence and any subsequent licence will expire on 31 December of the year to which the licence relates and must be renewed before that date if the premises are to continue as an animal boarding establishment.
Fees will be payable for applications and conditions will be attached.
The fee for this application is £320.
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- that the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- that suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- that steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- that adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- that a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner authorised by the Council.
- a license may be refused or with held on other grounds if those grounds are such that conditions are not suitable for the boarding of animals.
- each license issued is subject to conditions that are imposed on all boarding establishments licensed by the Council.
In addition to the standard conditions a licence may also contain special conditions that are only applicable to your premises.
We will aim to have your application determined within 10 weeks of a valid and complete application. If we have been unable to determine your application in this time a licence will not be automatically granted. This is due to animal welfare implications.
Apply online on the Business Link website
- Animal boarding establishment licence online (external link).
- renew your animal boarding establishment licence online (external link).
Online payment Terms and Conditions
The following credit or debit cards are accepted in Haringey:
Maestro - Mastercard Debit - Mastercard Credit - Visa Credit - Visa Debit (formerly Delta) and Visa Electron
Terms and conditions
- We cannot accept liability if payment is refused or declined by the card supplier.
- If the card supplier declines payment, the Council is under no obligation to bring this fact to the customer's attention.
- Customers should check with their card supplier to ensure that payment has been deducted from their relevant account.
- Due to end of day processing, this service will not be available between 10pm and 11pm every weekday evening (Mon to Fri).
- Users should note that any payments in process after the 10pm deadline need to be completed by 10.05pm.
Please contact your Licensing Team in the first instance.
Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
Licence Holder Redress
Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
The following offences and penalties apply to the keeping of animal boarding establishment:
- anybody found guilty of keeping an animal boarding establishment without a licence may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both
- anybody found guilty of failing to comply with the conditions of their licences may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both
- anybody found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector, or authorised Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner in the exercising of their powers of entry may be fined up to a maximum of £500.
If found guilty under this Act, the defendant's licence may be cancelled and they may be disqualified from keeping an animal boarding establishment for such length of time the Court thinks fit.
Copies of the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 and other legislation can be purchased from The Stationery Office.
Please do not post your forms to us - email your the completed form to email@example.com or use the online link where available.
We will contact you by phone to take your payment via debit or credit card.
The Licensing Team
Please send your completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you to take payment via debit or credit card over the phone.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required