Registration of a Food Premises

Registration of a food business allows the local authority to maintain a register of all food establishments within its area. The law requires that all food establishments must register their food business with their local authority.

Registration enables the council to keep an up-to-date list of all food premises operating in Haringey, so that we can visit them when we need to. Food businesses are subject to an inspection by an officer from the council's Commercial Environmental Health Team. The frequency of the visits will depend on the food activity undertaken at the business.

Who needs to register

If you undertake any storage, preparation, distribution and/or selling of food, you are a food business operator and need to register. Food businesses include restaurants, cafes, hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfasts, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and home caterers. It also includes establishments under the control of different food business operators.

Food business operators are required to register their new food business at least 28 days before opening. Please do not register the business until you have a business start date.

Back to top

Failure to register

It is a criminal offence not to register a food business unless exempt. Any person failing to register a food business may be prosecuted.

Back to top


The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, eg those are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact us if you think you might be exempt.

Back to top

Will I need to register any vehicles used at the business?

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to inform the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must register the vehicles at the premises where the vehicles are normally kept overnight.

Back to top

How do I register?

You can apply online by completing the Register a Food Business e-form:

Register a Food Business - e-form (external link)

You must:

  • Complete all the boxes that apply to the business activity
  • Answer all the questions and provide all the information requested
  • Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should provide the dates when trading

Once registered you will receive an unannounced inspection visit from a food safety officer. At this visit your business and premises will be inspected to check compliance with food safety regulations. You are expected to be complying with regulations including having a documented food safety management system. If we are unable to access your business after a number of reasonable attempts, your business will be removed from the register.

Back to top

Registering multiple businesses

If you operate multiple food businesses in more than one local authority area, you must register the business with each authority separately.

Back to top

Registration Charge

There is no charge for registration - it is free.

Back to top

How do I know my business is registered?

A food registration application cannot be refused. Once your application is received by the Commercial Environmental Health Team, you will receive an acknowledgement letter confirming registration. You can also check our Food Premises Register below to see if you have been registered.

Back to top

What happens to the information given on the form?

The council will transfer some details from the application form to our Food Premises Register. The Register contains the food business trading name, address and the type of food activity carried out on the premises. The Food Premises Register is made available to the general public and can be found below.

Records of the other information provided will not be available to the public or disclosed outside of the council, local government departments or government agencies. The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Food Premises Register

Back to top

What happens if I do not start/close my business or change the way I operate?

Once registered with the local authority, it is necessary to notify them of any change of ownership, business activity, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept.

The new owner will have to complete the online Application for Food Premises Registration eform. All new applications for registration will become void if the new business fails to start within three months - after this time a new application for registration will be required.

Back to top

Further Information

Under regulation (EU) 853/2004, some food manufacturers, food processors and catering butchers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by Haringey Council or the Food Standard Agency's Meat Hygiene Service (external link).

Generally products must display a health mark. Premises requiring approval must not operate until approval is granted.

If you require further information or wish to discuss whether your business requires approval, contact the Commercial Environmental Health Team

  • Important: it is an offence to give information that you know is false

Back to top

Contact details

Commercial Environmental Health
Level 4 - Alexandra House
10 Station Road 
Wood Green
N22 7TR 

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 11, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)