Pollution Control - Industrial Processes
Some industrial processes have the potential to cause pollution and so require a 'permit' to operate. They are then regularly inspected by either the Environment Agency or the Local Authority. The control of industrial emissions is achieved through the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.
Under these Regulations there are three separate systems of pollution control:
- Part A (1) installations: Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) - regulated by the Environment Agency for emissions to land, air and water
- Part A (2) installations: Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC) - regulated by local authorities
- Part B installations: Local Authority Pollution Prevention Control (LAPPC) - regulated by local authorities for emissions to air only
There are no Part A1 and A2 processes in Haringey. Haringey Council is responsible for permitting and inspecting all Part B installations. These installations are those that have the potential to cause air pollution only.
All three systems require the operators of certain industrial and commercial installations to have a permit to operate. Once an operator has submitted a permit application, the regulator then decides whether to issue a permit. If one is issued, it will include conditions aimed at reducing and preventing pollution.
Any person operating a process that requires a permit must submit an application, with a fee, to the local authority. The authority will then issue a permit in accordance with government guidance. The operator of the process must comply with the conditions of the permit and they will be subject to inspection to ensure this is the case.
Guidance and information regarding fees and charges has been issued by the government to help both local authorities and industry and is available on Defra's website - Fees and Charges page (external link)
If you think you might need a permit to operate, you can complete the application form online or contact us using the details below. Please note that the requirement for a permit is separate to any planning permission that may be required.
Apply online on the Business Link website:
- Application for an environmental permit part A2 (external link)
- Application for an environmental permit part B (external link)
Online payment Terms and Conditions
The following credit or debit cards are accepted in Haringey:
Maestro - Mastercard Debit - Mastercard Credit - Visa Credit - Visa Debit (formerly Delta) and Visa Electron.
Terms and conditions:
- We cannot accept liability if payment is refused or declined by the card supplier
- If the card supplier declines payment, the council is under no obligation to bring this fact to the customer's attention
- Customers should check with their card supplier to ensure that payment has been deducted from the relevant account
- Due to end of day processing, this service will not be available between 10.55pm and 12.30am every weekday evening (Monday-Friday)
- Users should note that any payments in process after the 10.55pm deadline need to be completed by 11pm
Please see the current list of permitted industrial premises (PDF, 100KB). Should you want to see the public register in full, please contact us using the details below.
There is no charge for accessing the public register. Any photocopying of information will incur an administration charge.
Carbon Management Team
Level 1 North - River Park House
225 High Road
- Tel 020 8489 1335
- Contact us online
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required