Pollution Control

Pollution Control covers the following services:

On this page:

Penalty/Abatement notices

Part 3 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 requires us to take reasonable steps to investigate and, if appropriate, to take formal action in the event of justified complaints of statutory nuisance.

A Statutory Nuisance in this context can include emissions of smoke, fumes or gases, dust, steam and smell. The emissions must arise from premises and must materially affect the use or enjoyment of other premises.

Typical of complaints of this type are smoke and ash from garden bonfires, smoking chimneys, dust from building and demolition activity and cooking smells from restaurants. The legislation does not allow us to deal with complaints of smells arising from domestic premises.

If satisfied that a complaint of statutory nuisance is justified, an Abatement/Penalty Notice will be served upon the person responsible, occupier or owner of the premises (as appropriate) requiring that the nuisance be abated. Failure to comply with an Abatement/Penalty Notice is an offence and legal proceedings may result. If found guilty of an offence of this type then the maximum fine is £5,000 on domestic premises and £20,000 on commercial premises.

Back to top

Construction Information

Demolition and Construction sites produce dust as a result of the work being undertaken, which impacts on local air quality. In order to help developers and local authorities manage dust emissions from such sites, the Greater London Authority (GLA) have produced Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) ‘Control of Dust and Emissions during Construction and Demolition. Further details, including the guidance document are available on the Mayor of London - Control of Dust and Emissions website (external link).

Since 1 September 2015 the non-road mobile machinery (NRMM) regulations were applicable to all major demolition and construction sites within Haringey and Greater London, that use machinery of net power between 37kW and 560kW. In order to comply with the GLA's NRMM Low Emission Zone (LEZ) policy, there is also a requirement for developments to keep an inventory of all NRMM used. The NRMM on sites must be registered on the online NRMM London Register.

This applies to both variable and constant speed engines for both Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) and Particulate Matter (PM). These standards are based upon engine emissions standards and all qualifying plant and machinery to be used on any major site must be registered. Further details and information, including registration information is available on the Mayor of London - NRMM website (external link).

Important changes to the NRMM requirements for engines between 37kW and 560kW on sites in London:

  • 1 January 2020: all constant-speed engines, such as those typically found in generators, are required to meet Emissions Stage V throughout London either by technology or by retrofit for both NOx and PM reduction
  • 1 September 2020: engines (variable) operating in the Central Activity Zone/Canary Wharf Zones (CAZ/CW), plus those within the GLA defined Opportunity Areas, are required to meet Emissions Stage IV as a minimum. Engines within the Upper Lea Valley Opportunity Area are required to meet EU Stage IV
  • 1 September 2020: engines (variable) operating in Greater London, but outside the CAZ/CW Zones or the Opportunity Areas, are required to meet Emissions Stage IIIB as a minimum
  • 1 January 2025: engines (variable) are required to be at Emissions Stage IV as a minimum throughout London
  • 2030: engines are required to be at Emissions Stage V as a minimum throughout London
  • 2040: zero emissions from construction machinery throughout London

Back to top

Requesting environmental information

You have the right to access various pieces of information about the environment, ranging from levels of air pollution in the borough to the council’s environmental policies.

You can find information via:

  • these webpages
  • the contaminated land register – which lists all the sites of contaminated land in the borough
  • the pollution control register – which lists the polluting processes in Haringey

If you’re looking for something else you can make an environment information request:


The information itself is free, although you may be asked to cover the costs of copying and postage. If there is a charge you will be told first.

Refusing a request

A request can be refused if:

  • information is not held
  • the request is obviously unreasonable
  • the request is too general
  • the request is for unfinished documents or data
  • the request is for internal communications

If your request is refused we will give you advice on what to do next.

Requests may also be refused in order to protect the following, subject to the public interest test:

  • confidentiality of proceedings
  • international relations / public security/ defence
  • the course of justice and right to fair trial
  • commercial confidentiality
  • intellectual property rights
  • personal / voluntary data
  • environmental protection

Where else can I search for environmental information?

For more information visit the Environment Agency website (external link) and the DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) website (external link).

Back to top


Commercial Environmental Health
Level 1 - River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Back to top

Page last updated:

May 25, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)